View post (Books, authors, genres, etc...)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/11/2007 11:05 am
Originally Posted by: ThraxionI have to read and write a report on the book 'Lies My Teacher Told Me' for my College US History class... I am dreading this :\ Has anyone read this book before?

(Btw Of Mice and Men is a sweeet read)

I read it a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I may still have a copy at the house. Not sure, I'll have to check. Interesting read. Essentially, it covers a lot of aspects of US history that are told in an incomplete fashion in most schools. There are a number of details (of course) or motivations that were involved that are often times over-looked or glossed over by the old-school historians. A good example (and this is just off the top of my head) is that it is often taught that the civil war was fought over slavery. That may have been a peripheral reason but the main reason was economic (like most wars more basic motivation) and then it goes on to explain the same.

There are many other history books like it. One of my personal favorites is 'Don't know much about history'. Very similar to the above.

If I were writing the paper (and I have written several much like it), I would start with the quote "The winners get to write the history'. That's not an exact quote but you can find the original in a copy of Bartlett's Quotations. That's a very accurate description.

Good luck with your paper.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]