View post (More life advice needed...)

View thread

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
06/29/2007 6:16 am
Since I've pretty much been shamelessly using this forum as my personal Dear Abby column, I figure why not continue....

So heres the problem as of late...

In light of my 20th birthday, I've officially exited the confusing teenage wasteland and entered what most would consider "adulthood." Strangely enough, I feel nor look any different than I did when I was 18. I do however, kind of think I should be let "off the breast" to a certain extent being I'm gettnig up there in age. My parents, spefically my mother, seem to think otherwise though.

Just recently shes started to get ridiculously protective. My uncle was talking about driving to New York City to go see a Yankee game the other day and he offered to take me along. Now, its a well known fact that my uncle drives like...well, like an ass hole to put it bluntly. He's a good driver, just drives like hes in some kinda rush to get everywhere. I was cool with the idea though because theres never been a problem before in riding with him and being that I was under some sort of delusion that I had a say in what I did in life. (Being 20 years of age, you typically start to make your own decisions to a certain extent.) Well, I told my mom about it and she tells me its not a good idea. I pretty much said, I don't care what you think, I'm going. I said it in a slightly more polite manner, but that is what I said. I also added in that I'm old enough to make my own decisions nowadays. Her reply was along the lines of, well you can make your own decisions but we also can kick you outa the house. The conversation progressed and she went so far to say that she would kick me outa the house if I went with him.

Did this merit such a threat? I don't think so, but maybe I'm just a stupid kid.

Then tonight, my cousin's friend who I am also kind of friends with felt like getting some Burger King. I said that I'd take him down after we were done eating. About 2 hours later after we had already left and were at my uncles house, the phone rings and its my mom. She tells me shes not too crazy about me driving all sorts of places. I'm like pretty confused at this point because we had never discussed driving all sorts of places, just to Burger King....Then she says something along the lines of "I don't want those other kids in the car horsing around and then making you horse around. Then you get in an accident, and you don't get sued, I do."

Now, heres a little backgroud information on my driving record. I've never once had a speeding ticket or a warning for that matter. I did get a seat belt ticket about 3 seconds from my house once, but c'mon. I've never had a reputation for being a reckless driver or showing poor judgement in the car. Not to mention, I've drove my cousin and his friends around about 888 times prior to this occasion, and now all of the sudden theres a problem. And going back to the thing about riding with my uncle, I've also rode with him about the same amount of times in the past, and now theres a problem.

The easy solution would be leave the house and go off on my own. But I'd be kidding myself being that my parents still have to put me through the rest of my college education, I'm not qualified to do anything yet, and really don't have any money.

So what do I do? Just bite my tongue for a while and let my parents dangle crap over my head until I can find a way to be financially stable and get away from them? I don't know if my mom is upset about me being the last kid to reach adulthood and get out of the house, but I don't really care. I know I'd be dead without them and I'm ridiculously thankful for all the stuff they do for me, but there comes a point where they gotta let go somewhat....

Who knows.

Thanks for reading my long winded, disgustingly bitchy post. Leave a comment. :)
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.