Dead Legs...

ren
ren
06/26/2007 8:07 pm
Hi All,

I guess this is a basic - posture. I seem to be playing a lot sitting down at the moment - teaching, recording, jamming at home with friends. I find that pretty much no matter what position I pick, or how I vary it I end up with legs so dead it's a struggle to walk, and I can't feel them (feet feel real heavy, but tingling). It seems to be happening more recently - maybe my circulation is getting worse with age... ;)

When I am sat down I'll move between my foot being on the floor and raised, having the guitar on either leg, and sometimes crossing the leg with the guitar on it over the other. All to try to get comfortable - if I just sit with my foot on a stool and the guitar on that leg so it's at the right height, this still happens..... To be fair I lose track of time and I might be sat for hours, but how often do I need to get up and move around if it's just that?

I dunno. Anyway - just wondered if any of you guys have experienced this or have better knowledge of anatomy than me and can tell me how to avoid it, or how to shake it off the fastest.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
dvenetian
dvenetian
06/26/2007 8:19 pm
Do some leg exercises and stretching to increase circulation before starting the session. It may help.
# 2
ren
ren
06/26/2007 8:21 pm
Worth a go dude... I don't think I do any less than I used to, but it can't do any harm.

Thanks for the thought man...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/26/2007 9:46 pm
Hey Ren - sounds like you might be putting pressure on the sciatic nerve in the low back. How's your posture when you're sitting and playing? Are you leaning over the guitar? The reason I ask is generally when you get the heaviness in your legs or tingling, it's not the legs. It's your posture and the pressure you're exerting on your back. You know the quickest way to lessen back pain? Ab work. Get your stomach muscles tight and that will help take pressure from the spine. Watch your posture and stretch. It's kinda like driving. They say you should pull over at least once an hour and get out and walk a little. Same thing with sitting and playing. Get up, walk around a little and stretch your legs. It'll help. Trust me. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4

06/26/2007 10:04 pm
I had/have the same problem Ren.

I lessen the effect by using a better padded chair. It seems like I'm stopping the flood of blood somewhere around the butt lol

Sounds funny but I have less problem when I sit on a chair that has some padding then a regular wooden chair.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/27/2007 12:02 am
I had the same problem & found a solution although it's kinda pricey.
Basically went out and bought an Obusform chair meant for people with back problems and disabilities. We're talking upwards of several hundreds of bucks but man... what a difference.
# 6
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/27/2007 4:01 am
During the space race between Russia and the USA, the USA spent upwards of 1 million dollars to develop a pen that would write in weightlessness. They needed a way to record things on paper. The Soviet Union simply used a pencil.

My point is, play standing up when ever you can.

Hope things get better err.....down there :D
# 7
ren
ren
06/27/2007 10:08 am
Thanks all... I'll have a go at the suggestions. Just weird it's come along suddenly after I've been playing for 22 years... oh well.

Some sort of padded chair and back posture would be the ones probably leading the field, I'll just have to pay more attention. I do play standing up most of the time, but if you're spending the day recording, a chair is good... ;)

I've tried sitting on my bed as well - same thing happens. Might be an excuse to buy myself a nice new chair.... maybe with a fridge in the arm rest... mmmm

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.