How hard was it for you?

rhythm
rhythm
06/23/2007 12:02 am
Just curious, how hard do you rank learning guitar in the scheme of things? As hard as learning to drive or get a degree? Was it easy for anybody? :rolleyes:

Compare it to something else in your life and tell us.

For me, and I am just learning, I used to be a proffesional photographer and I can liken it to the difficullty I had going from a regular snapper of photographs to being able to nail proffesional shots and developing my eye.
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/23/2007 12:55 am
That's an interesting question and I suspect that it's going to vary widely depending on many, many factors. For me, it's been difficult but a lot of that has to do with my age when I started (mid-forties) and not really having any musical training on any other instrument. But (and this is BIG) I don't find it impossible because it's something I really, really enjoy. I have always found that enjoying what you're studying makes things much, much easier. You have to have and maintain a certain passion for it.

I've always been told that kids learn things much faster so I would imagine that a lot of the youngsters here on GT will say that it's been a lot easier for them. And then there's the question of how much is a natural ability to learn something quicker than something else. Some folks just have 'it' (whatever that is).
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/23/2007 1:53 am
Now, I AM one of the youngsters you speak of, (16) and it did come pretty easily to me, but lets get things straight before I come off as being a complete D-bag. I started off playing drums when I was about 10 yrs old, and guitar came about 4 yrs later down the line. Therefore, having the basic drumming knowledge, and being able to read music (complicated snare drum solos this is...), I was able to skip to the good stuff. I really loved guitar, and played a lot at the beginning, so I progressed a ton, and was learning every song I could, and quickly too. As of now though, I still find it fairly simple. Other than reading music, which I am looking into for college and stuff, its just another thing I enjoy doing... a lot. :rolleyes: Its kinda like this, if you like it, you'll practice and become good at it, natural talent or not. I happen to really love guitar, and mixed with a bit of natural talent, its become an awesome thing for me. My uncles been playing drums for about 40 yrs now :eek: and I like to think he's alright. :rolleyes: so lets say his musical ability has hopefully rubbed off on myself.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 3
ren
ren
06/23/2007 10:51 am
For me, it's been a mix of experiences.

I started when I was 8. My Dad took me to see Eric Clapton, and I knew from then I had to play. Thing was, I got given a classical guitar and spent the next 4 years learning classical & flamenco styles through school, playing in the orchestra etc. That was difficult - I remember finding it hard with small hands to do what I needed to do.

I learned a lot, and was fairly good at fingerstyle stuff, but I got frustrated that it wasn't what I wanted it to be - I wanted to play like I heard clapton play, and I couldn't connect it to what I was doing. I stopped playing for a couple of years.

I got an electric guitar for my 15th Birthday and started learning to use a pick... found it far easier and for the 15 years since 95% of my playing is electric. I found it hard to build picking speed, because it was all new, but all the fretting hand stuff was easy because it's second nature. I'm still learning, but the pleasure of it means it never feels difficult. The exception to this is learning a tricky track to teach someone if I don't like the track. I find new things come to me fairly quickly because I'm so familiar with the guitar, but the boundaries are still there to be pushed.

As for comparison, it depends how far you take it. I've been playing most of my life, and will probably play for the rest of it... so it's like persuing the mastery of anything else - more dificult than a degree, driving etc. I don't think you can learn guitar passively like you can academic stuff - you have to want to learn, I guess motivation is the key - nothing is difficult if you want it enough... maybe?

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/23/2007 3:51 pm
Well, here's my story. At 7 years of age, I began my musical life. I played clarinet in the school band until my junior year in highschool. At the age of 16 I began playing guitar. Self taught, trading lick with my friends who we more advanced, I picked up quickly. I'm naturally left handed but made the conscience decision to play right handed. My 1st guitar was an imitation strat made by GLOBAL. It was a good first guitar. I think because of my more formal training in the schools bands, it came easily to me.
# 5
strat-man
strat-man
06/23/2007 5:56 pm
I'm in the same boat as Hunter60, and like he said, it's a little more difficult but not impossible when your a bit older, i really love playing and learning new stuff so i won't be stopping anytime soon :)
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 6
rhythm
rhythm
06/23/2007 11:43 pm
good answers. I think it is a combo of:

tallent
patience
time to spend playing
gear
correct direction
# 7
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
06/24/2007 8:48 pm
As another almost-middle-aged, chubby-stubby fingered, beginner, I must say that progress is slow. But, and this is huge to me, there is progress being made.

I guess the most important thing that I'm doing this time is trying to focus on the journey rather than the destination. So rather than listening to songs I hope to play someday and being depressed that I can't yet, I'm truly enjoying playing what I can play, and when I get a difficult arpeggio today that I couldn't make sound good yesterday, just really enjoying that.

And it's working. I'm finding myself enjoying my practices, and the sounds that I'm making with my guitars. I hope some day to be playing with the worship band at my church, and maybe even to occasionally solo with my electric, but I'm also being realistic about the time I'm putting in.

So I guess my answer is, it's fairly difficult, but it's also lots of fun!!

Besides, when my 3-year-old tries to accompany me on his toy drum set, it is absolutely priceless!!! We have a musical family activity happening!! :)

Have a great afternoon, all!!!

Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.