Need help in progressive!

noisetherapy
noisetherapy
06/22/2007 8:07 am
hey, i want to become a great progressive guitarist.

what type of lessons and techniques and styles should i be looking up on and spending majority of my practice time on. can anyone refer me to anything? lessons wise. i should also edit, that im also interested in the 'stoner rock' genre of groups like queens of the stone age. is that just influenced from iommi styles or what should i look further into.

thanks!

im gonna invent my own analog tape delay better than fripps!
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/22/2007 12:32 pm
Playing good progressive music is just like any other style or genre. You need to have your techniques down (legatto, alternate picking, sweep picking etc) and you expecially need your own defined style. You don't have to know all about theory to know the fretboard backwards but you do need to know your way around the neck. 'Prog' is just about thinking outside the box, it all depends on what music you like to create and what you play. You can stick a label on pretty much anything, the most important thing about getting there is knowing your techniques, having your own style and knowing the fretboard. For me, I never plan out a track or know what I am going to come up with, I just play, experiment and most of all hear what I want to play in my head before working it out. Different strokes for different folks.
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/22/2007 1:07 pm
u gotta learn ur diatonic harmony. then start to break out of it with more exotic scales. eg harmonic minor, diminished, etc.

but its important to have the proper base before u go explorin. so u know wat to return to. at least in my view, this is probably the longer route but i think in the end its better.
# 3

06/22/2007 11:35 pm
As far As intructor goes on GT

Sean Conklin probably fits the progressive style best.

http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=363650

This is my fav lessons from Sean. Great stuff.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=10409
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/23/2007 12:00 am
As Superhuman said, you can whack any label on it you want, or try to pin down criteria for it, but progressive musicianship is really just thinking outside the box, and combining different styles in a way that is intellectually and emotionally challenging (yeah, you can feel a prog-head rant coming, can't you? :p ). IMHO the best thing for you to do at this stage is just to get as many techniques, tricks and songwriting skills into your musical toolbox as possible. Investigate a variety of different styles of guitar playing - rock, folk, pop, funk, jazz, classical/neoclassical, metal, reggae, whatever interests you plus a bit extra to broaden your scope; and pick up as many different techniques, especially rhythm and chordal techniques, as you can. Listen to plenty of progressive and art rock; listen to how the greats like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Yes, Van der Graaf Generator, the Moody Blues, Opeth, the Mars Volta, Dream Theatre, Supertramp, Rush, the Sonic Youth and others combine various musical influences. When putting your own material together, don't cut-and-paste from the greats; think about how YOU want YOUR music to sound, and take note of how the greats synthesise their influences in putting it together. Remember that prog music is not necessarily just shred soloing over odd-time chord progressions in weird tunings (although by all means it can be if it's outside the box and stimulating) - it's whatever you want it to be. So the main thing to do is to add as many styles as possible to your guitar-playing palette, and the progressive-ness ought to eventually come out through your playing and songwriting.

Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble :o
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
noisetherapy
noisetherapy
06/26/2007 8:34 pm
Thanks all very much for your guidance!

ive just started going through a bunch of different lessons in styles i would never really listen to (bluegrass) just to get some diversity.

thanks benoit for the lesson, that is some crazy stuff!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.