Zakk Wylde squeal??

longliverock83
longliverock83
06/22/2007 3:27 am
I just cant get that Zakk Wylde squeal right. if i hold the pick close to the tip to kinda get the squeal but then my chords sound terrible!! how do u get it to sound right?
Rock & Roll will never die.
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/22/2007 3:42 am
There are many factors. Volume (and control of said volume) attack on the string. But most importantly technique. Play around and you'll see what I mean. I sounds as if you are chocking up on the pick correctly. Keep at it. You'll get it because you already know how :D
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/22/2007 2:04 pm
You just gotta hit the pinch harmonic (6th string, 5th or 3rd fret is a good place to start with) and then wibe vibrato like no other. Theres plenty of these thread lurking around, try the search at the top of the page.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
ren
ren
06/22/2007 2:28 pm
you also have to change your grip on the pick / angle of attack.

Going for a pinch harmonic, you want to get the side of your thumb to touch the string just after you pick it. Playing a chord, you want to hit it clean, or maybe mute with your palm depending on what you're doing. Your thumb needs to be out of the way for that...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/22/2007 8:30 pm
Originally Posted by: renPlaying a chord, you want to hit it clean, or maybe mute with your palm depending on what you're doing. Your thumb needs to be out of the way for that...

Right, but Wylde plays pinch harmonic CHORDS, and thats where it gets difficult. My advice would be to practice on single strings until you can get pinch harmonics down good. Then add another string and to a 2 string p/h until you can do it good. Keep doing that until you can do full on chords in pinch harmonics.

The 2 most important things in p/h is the touching of the string, and the vibrato. The vibrato is extremely important because it sort of "carries" the sound through. You may be getting the harmonics right, but if you don't add the vibrato, you won't really hear it that great and you'll think that your not even doing the harmonic right, which you could be.
# 5
Gargy
Gargy
06/22/2007 9:26 pm
Originally Posted by: renyou also have to change your grip on the pick / angle of attack.

Going for a pinch harmonic, you want to get the side of your thumb to touch the string just after you pick it.

The guitar string may vibrate primarily at one frequency, but there are many little different frequencies ringing out at the same time (For example, if A is 440hz, there are frequencies of 880hz and 1760hz ringing out of the string even though you're playing the 440hz note, and this is true with all sound as well). By touching the string at certain places as you pick you're muting out the 440hz but allowing the 880hz or 1760hz to ring out louder. (Playing any open string with your fret hand finger lightly touching the string over the 5th fret is a profound example of this).

This is also the concept on how MP3s are able to srhink the size of an audio file (by removing all the frequencies you can't hear outright).

To get the sound, what you need to do is fret the note you want to squeal FIRST, then you have to adjust yoru picking hand position (as in where on the strings you pick), then pick the note and lightly tap your thumb to that special spot as you hit the vibrato. This takes LOTS AND LOTS of practice so don't get discouraged in the first five minutes. The end result is FAR worth the effort it takes to perfect it.
# 6
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/22/2007 9:36 pm
why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.