need a little help....

longliverock83
longliverock83
06/21/2007 3:21 am
i was wondering how to build up easy guitar solos cause im tired of my drummer playing cool solos and me playing some lame solo
Rock & Roll will never die.
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
06/21/2007 4:45 am
If it's just you and your drummer, you'd be somewhat limited on busting out a typical solo that can stand on it's own without a bass or another rhythm guitar. But I'd say the most basic approach is to play a chord/riff progression, 12 bar blues for example, and add little fills (melodic lines, trills, pull-offs, etc) in between chord changes or for fairly brief passages and build from there. Otherwise, unless it's a pre-written solo, it's much more difficult to improv lead guitar without backing and keep the flow of a song.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
Gargy
Gargy
06/21/2007 4:50 am
My solo-writing technique is much like using a computerized drum machine; I have several little short licks that I come up with as I play, then I can add them together to make a whole solo. I find it much easier and I'm pretty sure many other people use this. And the great thing is that once you memorize the licks you can just sprinkle them here and there or play one after the other sequentially to form out a solo like I said earlier. Once I get my recorder working I might record a demonstration
# 3
aussiefloodman
aussiefloodman
06/22/2007 3:35 am
Hey there,

I have been playing now for thirty years. After that much playing I have made many discoveries and I will share one or two of them with you here...

1: Listen.

Listen to the music that moves you. For my money, music is far more than the raw technique of the fingertips and much more about what is in your heart. The music that moves you will also inspire you to make your own. Music is not made with hands. It is made much deeper inside you.

Emulate players you like to listen to. Copy a phrase here and a phrase there and incorporate them into you own playing from time to time.

2: Just breathe

It's not about the "chops". A great solo is not always about shredding out 96 notes per bar and setting your fretboard alight with the friction. Have a listen to Steve Lukather's solo in a song off Toto-IV called I Won't Hold You Back. (phew! Really showing my age there eh?) That solo is as simple as falling off a log but packs so much power even in its simplicity.

I can walk into any guitar shop in Sydney and there will be a fifteen year old kid who could blow me away technically but it will be at least another ten years before he gets beyond the technique and learns to play real music.

I could go on and on and on but if you get a hold of these two concepts, it will really help you become the player you are and not the player you necessarily thought you'd be.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.