Line 6 TonePort UX1 Sample

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
06/21/2007 2:38 am
Well, due to the recomendation of Weslaba, I went ahead and bought a Line 6 TonePort UX1. It arrived today, and I was excited as all get out. This thing is very cool, but is kinda hard for a recording dummy like me to use. I really dig it though. Theres tones of different preset tones and just endless tweaking that you can participate in. I can't wait to get to sit down with some serious time to dedicate to thing so I can learn and tweak.

Heres a little clip I recorded. I use my amp as a monitor because I have no speakers or headphones to use. The amp works but it has an effect on the tone, so it sounds different when recorded. I also didn't do any tweaking on this tone, it was default. The folks at Line 6 are about the worst default tone creators in the universe. A deaf guy could do better.

TonePort

I think this thing is gonna be fun and kill some serious hours of boredom. Its also gonna do wonders for my famously terrible recording quality.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
equator
equator
06/21/2007 8:15 pm
The link is not working for me, dude.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
06/24/2007 1:34 am
Strange...Worked for me. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be posting other recordings in the future, but for now, I give it a good review, other than the fact that the directions on how to use it can be rather vague.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/26/2007 10:48 pm
Sounds good. I always like your playing. It sounds like some of it might be clipping or something. The bassier parts that is. The recording quality is better though for sure. ("For Sure") Wow that sounded kind of Valley Girlish or something. Line 6 stuff I think works great but you need to experiment with settings and such to get the sound you're after. At least that's what I found. I have the XT Live and found it very frustrating in the beginning but as I have learned to work with it and I've grown to love it.

Look forward to more stuff soon.

BC
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/27/2007 3:59 pm
Very nice!!!! You've got some cool vintage type fuzz going on with the rhythm, and the lead part sounded great as well.

Line 6 definitely makes some horrible presets, but they are easily tweaked to your own taste. Here's a tip... tweak with your eyes closed (figuratively speaking) Typical settings that would sound good might sound like crap, and odd settings might sound perfect. Also, don't pay attention to the names of the amps. Use your ears to set up the tones, and not your eyes.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
06/27/2007 4:57 pm
Sounds like you've started off well! Agree with PRSPlaya - Line6 presets are pretty synthetic. What you have there is pretty good!

Have you downloaded the latest Gearbox software? Then go on-line and there are some good tones to be found in the 'tonelocker' and in the library, and also some pretty good BT's to play along with. Some of the users have come up with some interesting sounds...
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
06/28/2007 5:01 pm
Thanks for the tips all. Line 6 makes about the most disgusting presets in history. I will download the new Gearbox software soon and will be recording more stuff.
# 7
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/28/2007 5:26 pm
I was diggin' that... :cool:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 8
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
06/28/2007 6:36 pm
I've got a new recording up titled "Dime/Cliff Tribute". I first heard this in my friends truck. He downloaded from somewhere and it was titled as "Dimebag Darrell Abbott Tribute" by Metallica. Then I went to download it and found it as "Pantera Tribute to Cliff Burton." So I'm not sure who played it and who its dedicated to. All I know is it was beatiful.

All that being said, I don't know if I played it in the right key or what. Just did it from what I remembered. Give it a listen. Nothing complicated but a nice blend of guitars.

TonePort
# 9
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
06/29/2007 5:32 am
Very nice indeed! Thats a really good piece, cool playing too!

(That last chord could have rung out just a fraction longer)
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/29/2007 10:00 pm
Hey Griz, meant to post a reply before but didnt get around to it til now. Good to see you with some new gear, it makes a huge difference. Definitely check out the tone locker on Lne6 - loads of patches to download. Nice bluesy playing there, look forward to seeing what you come up with now that you've got some good gear for recording.
# 11
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
07/02/2007 12:27 am
That was nice and it sounds like you're getting a hang of the tones too.
# 12
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
07/02/2007 1:06 am
I visited the site for some tones yesterday. Most were absolutely hideous and sounded nothing like what they were trying to replicate. Some were good but sounded absolutely nothing like they were trying to replicate.

My thoughts on this box go as followed:

You get what you pay for. Better than the alternative (what I had been using). Kind of tough to really figure out how to use, the program guiding you through it is vague. The tones are what Line 6 typically lives up to. Poor solid state replication. You can find some cool stuff by using your own ear though.

I'd recommend it for the poor guy. Anyone who has used anything better is not gonna be satisified.
# 13
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/02/2007 2:57 pm
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintThe tones are what Line 6 typically lives up to. Poor solid state replication.

I resent that remark :mad:. True, it's very possible to get bad tone with L6 gear, but the sweet tones are in there as well. It just takes lots of time to figure out how to set them up. You won't be able to do it quickly either. I must repeat... it will NOT sound like you're playing through an amp in the same room. Decent studio monitors really help too.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 14
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
07/02/2007 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaI resent that remark :mad:. True, it's very possible to get bad tone with L6 gear, but the sweet tones are in there as well. It just takes lots of time to figure out how to set them up. You won't be able to do it quickly either. I must repeat... it will NOT sound like you're playing through an amp in the same room. Decent studio monitors really help too.

For the record, I've been playing and tweaking on a Line 6 Spider II for the past 2 years. The sound of the TonePort reminds me a lot of the Spider... That being said, the TonePort definitely has more potential than the Spider, just gonna take some serious messing around.

But, when making a serious purchase, I would never buy anything with the name Line 6 on it.
# 15
CameronWood
CameronWood
01/09/2008 4:38 am
what program did you use to add the drum track?
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.