Pickup Question

adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
06/17/2007 8:53 pm
Hello, All,

Time for Tom's silly question of the day!!!

I'll preface with the facts again. I just purchased, in the last week or so, a Stagg G300 GC. I love the guitar!!! Sadly, I very rarely get to plug it into my amp (an old Dean Markley) to practice because I usually practice when the kids are napping or everyone is asleep (Man I need some headphones). So yesterday I got to spend some quality time with the axe plugged in.

Here's where the question comes in. I began with both pickups active, then tried the front, then the back. The front pickup gave me a really cool, fat sound (I'm not sure what the parlance is, so I hope it's clear what I mean). It especially sounded cool with the drive switch on on the amp, given a really nice sound, fuzzy but not to overly distorted (again, probably the wrong parlance, hope my meaning is clear). I also liked the sound of both pickups on, still had a full sound, but the back pickup mellowed it out. When I tried the back pickup alone, though, it sounded REALLY anemic!

I'm sophisticated enough to figure that is because right up next to the neck I'm getting a lot of vibration from the strings, whereas by the bridge that vibration is constricted. I guess my curiosity is, do you ever use the rear pickup alone, or is that mainly there to mellow out the front? When would you use the different pickups? Basically, I'm curious as to how to get the best sounds out of my instrument at different times.

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the experts comment on this.

Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]
# 1
Gargy
Gargy
06/17/2007 9:09 pm
1: I have one of those Dean Markley amps too, actually. I use it as a front-end to my Marshall sometimes.

2: The bridge pickup is usually hotter (more powerful) than the neck because of that reason, but I usually prefer the bridge since it sounds a little more precise and tight than the neck pickup. I occasionally use the neck-pickup on solos but thats it.

Also, since I haven't seen your guitar (nor have you told us), maybe the Bridge pickup sounds weaker because its further away from teh strings than the neck. The closer the pickup is to the string, the more powerful it'll sound (but if you get too close the strings could hit the pickup, causing that 'ping' sound). The height can be adjusted with a screwdriver.
# 2
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
06/17/2007 10:18 pm
Both pickups are at the same height at which they were set when I got the guitar, now adjustments. I'll assume that means that they're at the same height, but I'll have to measure. I may also mention that both pickups are covered, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

It's interesting to hear you say the bridge pickup is usually hotter, because it seems like the neck pickup, the dials being equal, has more volume than the bridge. I will say though that the bridge pickup is a lot cleaner. Since I am a beginner, e.g. everything I play is sloppy, maybe that's why I like the front one, more wiggle room :) .

I'll measure, and give it another listen later today.

Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]
# 3
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/17/2007 10:35 pm
make your bridge pickup closer to strings and back off the neck pickup from strings until they both have even volume and sound good.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/18/2007 9:19 pm
The bridge pickup is also generally brighter than the neck pickup.I use my neck and bridge together for my distorted sounds,sometimes just my bridge, but the only time I use my neck pickup alone is when I'm playing clean, not always tho (it gives a more bassy, and clear sound) and for a crystal clear overdriven solo...although usually I like my solos twangy, so I use my bridge pickup on most solos.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.