Really Basic: Practice time.

adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
06/14/2007 5:00 pm
Greetings and Salutations, All!!!

Ok, first the question, then the info. How do you all structure your practice time so that you get everything you'd like to do done in a reasonable time?

I think the problem is that I'm pretty eclectic, and there is a lot of stuff I want to learn. I really like classical style, and imagine myself sometime soon soloing at my Church with Ode to Joy or one of my favorite hymns. But I also like basic acoustic, and am working with the leader of our worship team to learn the some of the songs we do and start playing with the group fairly soon. But I also like electric, and just got a really cool SG copy, and would love to play that more, perhaps sometime introduce some gentle electric accompaniment, and perhaps gentle solos (we have an older church, and thus far are 100% acoustic) with the worship team. But I'd also love to get a little bit more raucous with the axe, play some of the rock and roll (Mostly 80's Christian stuff) and new wave I grew up with. So, I've got a lot of really disparate stuff I like, and that I'd like to do.

So in my normal practice session I begin with the acoustic, and start with the classical. I do some arpeggios, pluck out a few exercises from Noad's "Solo Guitar Playing," and a simple melody or 2. Then I take out the pick, and begin by reviewing my open chords (all I'm playing with right now), and a couple of scales ( I only know the 2-octave major and minor scales right now). Then I bust out my song book, and start working on a song or 2. About this time either one of my 3 kids or my wife need me to do something, and I haven't even gotten a chance to plug in the SG yet!!!! Major bummer!!! ;) I've started taking out the axe upstairs for a few in front of my computer later at night, after all, that's where my guitartricks lessons are, but I'd love to spend more time with it.

So, for all of you that have been doing this a while, how do you fit it all in, especially worked around real life? Just looking for tips to make my git-fiddle time a bit more efficient!

Many thanks for reading this novel, those of you brave souls who've made it this far, and for any tips you offer!!

Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]
# 1
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
06/15/2007 12:11 am
Well Tom I dont know a good answer for ya bud. I too have the normal job, kids, wife, gym... etc. pulling me every direction at times. There is no "magic bullet" for this. Seems like you found a rutine that has you going and motovated. As long as you keep moving forward in your learning and knolage you are going in the right direction. Sorry man I know this isnt what you where asking for but wanted to let you know your not alone.... :)
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 2

06/15/2007 2:01 pm
I practice almost everyday but I rarely practice both acoustic and electric in the same session.

So, I alternate. One day electric and one day acoustic.

Your session sounds well thought out with a good mix of exercise and songs practice. Maybe you could just alternate each day.
# 3
ren
ren
06/15/2007 4:00 pm
When I worked in an office I'd take a guitar with me and practice around work. If I arrived early, get a few minutes in, then a bit more over lunch.

I'd practice in the evenings but I had rehearsals, gigs, lessons and whatever as well. Balance is the thing. I rarely play acoustic, so don't touch that much, but I play every day probably 2 hours minimum. I'd separate the two as Benoit said though...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
06/15/2007 5:55 pm
Hello, Again, All,

Well, thank you 3 for actually reading through my long and tedious post and taking the time to reply!!! I certainly do appreciate it!!!

Wow! Actually splitting my time and not trying to do everything all in one day. What a concept!!! You'd think I'd be smart enough to think of it!!! :) Thank you for the suggestion. I figure just start on a different instrument every day, and do as much as I can, and there will be some overlap.

Anyway, thank you for some practical suggestions that I was just too dense to see!!!

Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]
# 5
quickfingers
quickfingers
06/15/2007 7:30 pm
i totally know where you're coming from, in the aspect of multiple interests. i play guitar for my college's jazz band, i play classical/flamenco styles because i love 'em, i obviously get down and dirty with the rock, metal/metalcore, and i have a soft spot for indie music after all that. sometimes its just overwhelming. i have different days where i work on different things. today, i've been doing jazz licks on a light-stringed acoustic so when i pick up my electric, i'm blazing up and down it. my biggest peice of advice would be to play everything you play on an electric on an acoustic. within reason, of course...no one is expecting you to pull off sweet bends and heavy vibratos on an acoustic. but i would definitely practice scales and licks on the acoustic before you even touch the electric in the morning. it took me a long time to find an acoustic guitar that played like an electric guitar, and i just recently bought mine. since then, its made dramatic improvements on my practice regimen.

but like i said, i would just try to get heavilly into a particular style of music for an hour or so, and switch off the next day or whatever. i spend 2/3 of my time writing songs and singing/songwriting on the guitar, and probably only 1/3 of my time working over licks and shredding up the guitar neck and such. thats just me, though. i know guys that wouldnt even think about not doing warmups every day.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.