GT Newsletter

ren
ren
05/22/2007 9:38 am
hi everyone,

Any of you guys interested in contributing to the monthly GT newsletter? I'd quite like someone to do a 'new releases' CD review, and we have a few new ideas up for discussion, but would also welcome anyone with their own ideas for articles.

Anyone who is interested, send me a PM... :)

* Free beer available to any contributor who can get themselves to sunny London town... one per person.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/23/2007 1:49 am
Hello all. One of the ideas that we had been kicking around was doing a serialized story about a fictional guitar hero. Here's the idea; I would write the first chapter of a young person who embarks on his journey of guitar-stardom. The next writer (a volunteer) would pick up the story and write the next installment. That writer would find the next writer and hand the story off to that person to continue it.

There aren't many rules but here are a few:

1) We want the story to stay linear. Try to keep the character moving forward in his journey. Flashbacks are a perfectly legitimate device but we'll try to limit him/her to staying somewhat planted in one time. No time travel. :)

2) Remember-this is a g-rated family site so keep an eye on the language and what sort of trouble you get the character into.

Other than that, it'll just be interesting to see where you all take this character.

It can be funny, sad, philosophical, technical...whatever you want it to be. Just try to keep true to the character.

So, first things first: do you like the idea? Secondly, name the character. Third, who wants to pick up Chapter 2?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/25/2007 11:05 am
Alright, let's try this one:

What do you all think about doing regional reviews of live performances? It would work like this: a volunteer would take the assignment for the month and review a show in your town. It can be anything from a major star show to a local bar band you happen on or even if you know a garage band playing a beer bash somewhere. It doesn't matter. I think it could prove interesting to see what's going on in the various areas of the GT Nation.

Figure it like this, you happen to be there anyway so you get to share your experience with your pals here at GT.

[FONT=Times New Roman](Not all of these ideas are winners...so post some ideas you have too!) [/FONT]
# 3
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
05/28/2007 5:52 pm
How about Scale of the Month?
Tab it, Post it, Practice it, Talk about it. :cool:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 4
strat-man
strat-man
05/28/2007 8:59 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEHow about Scale of the Month?
Tab it, Post it, Practice it, Talk about it. :cool:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=hunter60]Alright, let's try this one:

What do you all think about doing regional reviews of live performances? It would work like this: a volunteer would take the assignment for the month and review a show in your town. It can be anything from a major star show to a local bar band you happen on or even if you know a garage band playing a beer bash somewhere. It doesn't matter. I think it could prove interesting to see what's going on in the various areas of the GT Nation.

Figure it like this, you happen to be there anyway so you get to share your experience with your pals here at GT.

[FONT=Times New Roman](Not all of these ideas are winners...so post some ideas you have too!) [/FONT]

I like both idea's, also, i'm goin to a gig in a couple of weeks (big band) so if the powers that be would like a review just PM me, i'd be happy to help out.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 5
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
05/29/2007 8:10 pm
E|---------------------------------------6-8-12-|
B|-----------------------------------5-8--------|
G|-------------------------------5-7------------|
D|-5-3---------------------3-5-7----------------|
A|-----5-4-3---------3-4-5----------------------|
E|-----------6-3-3-6----------------------------|

It's kind of weird to play at first.
build up to speed.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 6
ren
ren
05/31/2007 1:20 pm
Any Takers?

Any thoughts on what you'd like to see included as a reader?

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/31/2007 1:22 pm
Yes, I would love to see more by that guy who does that Birth of an Obsession column. Pure genius. :D

[FONT=Garamond]Yeah okay, that was shameless...I couldn't help myself!![/FONT]
# 8
strat-man
strat-man
05/31/2007 9:14 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Yes, I would love to see more by that guy who does that Birth of an Obsession column. Pure genius. :D

Yeah keep it up Hunter, i love that column :)

How about a "hints 'n' tips section"? any little nuggets of guitar related advice (playing/technique/theory/maintenance/ideas) that people have picked up over the years, that aren't generally covered in most tutorials, and may give other players inspiration, as an example, it was after a chat with another guitarist that i started playing saxophone riffs and solo's on guitar and they can sound pretty cool, something i'd never thought of doing, some of us are still beginners and need all the help we can get, just an idea :)
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 9
ren
ren
06/01/2007 8:12 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Yes, I would love to see more by that guy who does that Birth of an Obsession column. Pure genius. :D

I worry about you dude... ;)

# 10
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/01/2007 10:48 am
Originally Posted by: renI worry about you dude... ;)

Yup, I'm a basket of issues.... :)
# 11
ren
ren
06/01/2007 5:49 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEHow about Scale of the Month?
Tab it, Post it, Practice it, Talk about it. :cool:

:) Thanks for that Damaged. The 'Scale of the Month' will feature in the next newsletter. It's starting off probably as easy as it gets, but anyone with an opinion of what should be scale of the month for July, send me a PM.

I'll let the majority response dictate the level it gets pitched at next time.

# 12
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
06/01/2007 10:02 pm
Originally Posted by: ren:) Thanks for that Damaged. The 'Scale of the Month' will feature in the next newsletter. It's starting off probably as easy as it gets, but anyone with an opinion of what should be scale of the month for July, send me a PM.

I'll let the majority response dictate the level it gets pitched at next time.

The dorian scale is certainly one people should know about ;) It's like the thinking man's Aeolian! ....or not.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.