More on left wrist position

KirkD
KirkD
05/10/2007 4:21 am
So I've gone out and started taking lessons, and I specifically asked my instructor about the position of my left hand. You may remember my previous post in which I had pictures of me playing A,C,D,E,F, and G chords, and my wrist was rather extremely bent. Well, he suggested that I move my thumb way up until it peeks up and slightly over the neck of my guitar. Eseentially, I'm holding the neck like a bottle with the bulk of the neck cradled in the crook between my thumb and first finger. Here's a picture:

This straightens out my wrist nicely, but this seems the opposite extreme to what I was doing previously. Is it common to hold the guitar for thse basic chords in this type of position??

And, thank you for any input and your patience. I just want to get this right while I'm only a month old at it. 8^)

-Kirk
# 1

05/10/2007 11:32 am
I use a thumb over the neck position often.

This position will give you great strength of vibrato and bends. Some people also use the thumb to actually fret the low E string (Hendrix, Vaughan). I personally don't do that.. don't have the fingers length for it lol

The only problem with this position that I personally find is that it is limiting when doing legato of sweeps but you won't have the worry about that for now. Just remember that as you move up the neck you'll sometimes want to go back to the thumb behind the neck.
# 2
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
05/10/2007 1:06 pm
ive seen many tutorials telling begginers to put the thumb lower down against the neck as support for more angle on your finger while doing chords...i did that for a while but then slowly i began to get more comfy with my thumb hugging the neck

id say do whatever feels good to you
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 3
ren
ren
05/10/2007 1:27 pm
Both work for different things. The 'thumb over' grip is fine, and I use that for some stuff, but like Benoit said you may get to the point where you need your thumb in the middle of the neck to be more dexterous.

For now, go with your teacher... straightening your wrist is the priority.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
KirkD
KirkD
05/10/2007 2:02 pm
Thank you all once again. I'm excited to see my nice, flat wrist and feel the extra strength. It surprises me how few beginner tutorials out there address the wrist position directly, and even fewer give pictures.

You've all been great!! Now just practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and .... uhm.... practice. 8^)
# 5
Gargy
Gargy
05/10/2007 7:42 pm
I always learned to keep your thumb on the center of the guitar's neck and keep your wrist straight with it there. I find it helps me finger things a little easier, though I'm known to bring my thumb up for use in a G-chord.

I find keeping my thumb on the top brings my fingers too close to the high E and I end up muting it with my index finger.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/10/2007 8:39 pm
In my experience, it's different for everybody. Different sized necks, hands, fingers, playing styles... like I've said before, there's no set rules.
A lot of beginner teachers will suggest keeping the thumb placed behind the neck of the guitar but it's only meant as a suggestion to make it easier for them to press down the strings. Once you get more experience, you start to realize that your thumb is going to move around all over the place depending on what you're playing.
Basically, whatever works and feels most comfortable is what you should use.
# 7
LloydW
LloydW
05/14/2007 4:39 pm
This wrist thing is like tired old fingers. Carpal tunnel is real and guitar players should become more knowlegable about such matters. As for putting your thumb over the neck or behind it, just make sure it isnt causeing you any long term problems. Oh ya if you go on to play with a slide, you'll need to keep your thumb behind the neck. Myself I play both ways, just depends on the song
# 8
strat-man
strat-man
05/14/2007 8:42 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeIn my experience, it's different for everybody. Different sized necks, hands, fingers, playing styles... like I've said before, there's no set rules.
A lot of beginner teachers will suggest keeping the thumb placed behind the neck of the guitar but it's only meant as a suggestion to make it easier for them to press down the strings. Once you get more experience, you start to realize that your thumb is going to move around all over the place depending on what you're playing.
Basically, whatever works and feels most comfortable is what you should use.

Right on bro, exactly right :)
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.