GT Solo Assignment May '07

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/27/2007 4:01 am
We have another Julian Vickers track this month. :cool: I'm sure he'll be in here shortly with some info for us on how to tackle it. Have fun guys and I hope to see more than 4 people in this month.

Right click the attachment and "Save File As".
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/02/2007 12:59 am
Open for business.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
05/02/2007 1:18 am
I assume Julian will not be participating because it is his song??? :rolleyes:
otherwise I give up. ;)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/02/2007 2:44 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpI assume Julian will not be participating because it is his song??? :rolleyes:
otherwise I give up. ;)

If that's the case I think you're missing the whole point of these threads z0s0! :(
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
05/02/2007 3:31 am
Hey there, ok here is the low down on the track:

The chord sequence is very reminiscent of AC/DCs Highway to Hell, and is rather repetitive but there are some variations during the track:

The intro (and end of choruses):

A D/F# G D/F#
A D/F# G D/F# Em D/F# G

The verse (and first part of chorus):

A D/F# G D/F# x 3
E

It's all technically in the key of Dmajor, but the tonal centre is A, which means the main scale to use in your solos would be the A mixolydian (the Dmajor of course also works fine)

The Aminor pentatonic can also work fine when used correctly. Playing the C natural note in the Am pentatonic over the G chord can sound bad though so watch out ;)

One thing I've noticed while playing over this track is that although it seems very simple, it just doesn't lend well to just jamming or playing random improvised licks in Dmajor over the chords. Some thought really had to go into actually playing chord tones over the chords as they come, which in my case often meant composing phrases beforehand.

I dont think I'll be entering into the 'competition' but I will post my solo anyway.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 5
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
05/02/2007 5:14 am
I was kiddin' (but I am sure you knew that :D ) Thanks for the info Julian!! since I play by ear it's Greek to me :o I really like this track though. Really fun to play on.

I think you should definately enter..........Oh and Happy Birthday!!!
Here is my take
z0s0
# 6
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
05/05/2007 2:27 am
Ok here is mine for now. Solo lacks speed and interest but I hope to get back to it. Also the tone sounds different after I rendered it than in my software. Not sure why but whatever. Nice track Julian.

Bar Chord Nick
# 7
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
05/05/2007 2:32 am
Damn z0s0_jp I thought that was great man. Nice tone too.
# 8
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
05/05/2007 3:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickDamn z0s0_jp I thought that was great man. Nice tone too.

++1 Gorgeous tone. Which of your axes was that singing?

Nick - I liked that take. A nice theme running through. As you say, maybe more variation ( i might have played the last stanza an octave up or something ) but good.

This is my first try, I need to revisit it ( got some dropouts at one point, I was sitting on my cable... :( ). Also the web site may disappear at some time, I changed ISP's but haven't moved the website yet. If it doesn't work, there's a direct link to the file as well. Wouldn't want anyone to miss it :D

WrigglerUK

WrigglerUK

Edit: Updated the take. No blackouts now so you have to listen to all of it!
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 9
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
05/05/2007 4:01 pm
Thanks guys
Nick-great playin' and purty good tone!!
Wriggy-pretty ballsy using a slide ;) good job!! your tone was good as well!!
I used the strat for this.
# 10
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
05/05/2007 4:50 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpThanks guys
Nick-great playin' and purty good tone!!
Wriggy-pretty ballsy using a slide ;) good job!! your tone was good as well!!
I used the strat for this.

Thanx - dunno about balls - I needed something to break it up a bit, there was a beer bottle there... hardest part was emptying it first! :rolleyes: Never tried anything like that before.

# 11
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/06/2007 5:13 pm
Okay here is my first GT Solo. This is all my almost 2 years of playing could manage. I worked on this sucker for about 8 hours. I learned alot about cool edit pro. Anyway this is just basic rock and roll guitar. I could use any advice you guys might have. I think I pretty much stayed in the A minor pentatonic scale. My theory is still a little lacking. So if I am in the wrong key I could not tell. :o
Now I can listen to everyone elses. I made myself wait until I had mine done so I would not be influenced by someone elses version.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=685738
# 12
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
05/06/2007 5:23 pm
[QUOTE=FingerSpasm]Okay here is my first GT Solo. This is all my almost 2 years of playing could manage. I worked on this sucker for about 8 hours. I learned alot about cool edit pro. Anyway this is just basic rock and roll guitar. I could use any advice you guys might have. I think I pretty much stayed in the A minor pentatonic scale. My theory is still a little lacking. So if I am in the wrong key I could not tell. :o

Nothin' wrong with basic rock and roll guitar! If this is your first attempt at these, that's a good take! What struck me was some of the bends were OTT, and there were some obvious pauses between phrases - I suffer from both these faults myself! Keep em comin' - good to hear from a new entrant!

# 13
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/06/2007 5:25 pm
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUk[QUOTE=FingerSpasm]Okay here is my first GT Solo. This is all my almost 2 years of playing could manage. I worked on this sucker for about 8 hours. I learned alot about cool edit pro. Anyway this is just basic rock and roll guitar. I could use any advice you guys might have. I think I pretty much stayed in the A minor pentatonic scale. My theory is still a little lacking. So if I am in the wrong key I could not tell. :o

Nothin' wrong with basic rock and roll guitar! If this is your first attempt at these, that's a good take! What struck me was some of the bends were OTT, and there were some obvious pauses between phrases - I suffer from both these faults myself! Keep em comin' - good to hear from a new entrant!

Thanks! I did get a little bend happy. I have been trying to work on bending into the correct pitch. And some of the pauses were due to my lack of ability at this time. And some of it was me just trying to let the song breathe a little. Maybe it was a little to much. :rolleyes:
# 14
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/06/2007 5:31 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpI was kiddin' (but I am sure you knew that :D ) Thanks for the info Julian!! since I play by ear it's Greek to me :o I really like this track though. Really fun to play on.

I think you should definately enter..........Oh and Happy Birthday!!!
Here is my take
z0s0

Nice.... I liked some of your other tracks also. Nice Sound!
# 15
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/06/2007 5:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickOk here is mine for now. Solo lacks speed and interest but I hope to get back to it. Also the tone sounds different after I rendered it than in my software. Not sure why but whatever. Nice track Julian.

Bar Chord Nick

I was unsure at the beginning of the song but then it really got good. Your phrasing was great and the way you let the some of the notes fade out. I liked it alot. This is coming from someone with only 2 years experience so I am not trying to give any advice. :)
# 16
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/06/2007 5:43 pm
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUk++1 Gorgeous tone. Which of your axes was that singing?

Nick - I liked that take. A nice theme running through. As you say, maybe more variation ( i might have played the last stanza an octave up or something ) but good.

This is my first try, I need to revisit it ( got some dropouts at one point, I was sitting on my cable... :( ). Also the web site may disappear at some time, I changed ISP's but haven't moved the website yet. If it doesn't work, there's a direct link to the file as well. Wouldn't want anyone to miss it :D

WrigglerUK

WrigglerUK

Edit: Updated the take. No blackouts now so you have to listen to all of it!

Took me a few seconds to get used to the effect you were using. I think that the effect was pretty cool. Nice playing.
# 17
WERNER 1
WERNER 1
05/07/2007 8:58 pm
Well I've been gone for a few months...busy and what not.. :) ..

I had a little time to kill and thought the Track for this month was pretty cool (Kind of has that happy 80's feel to it ;) ) .... So here's my entry as lame as it may be :(

I left the solo/lead part out front a bit so you could better hear that part....typically I'll try and mix things to sit better in the mix, but I thought in this venue it should stand out a bit more than "normal"

Here's my Submision:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=410286&songID=5318491

Sorry, I couldn't remember how to do the hyperlink thing to get it to say "WERNER 1's May GT SOLO Entry" ...or something...

Rick
# 18
equator
equator
05/07/2007 10:52 pm
Nice takes so far guys.
Here is my take:

equator

I'm gonna take a listen to all your takes again and I'll poste some feedback later. :cool:

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 19
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/07/2007 11:42 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorNice takes so far guys.
Here is my take:

equator

I'm gonna take a listen to all your takes again and I'll poste some feedback later. :cool:

Sounded cool. I liked the slides.... the chorus on my version had slides in it but they did not sound that cool! :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.