I have seen the light: Vai

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/24/2007 11:08 pm
Most of you who have been around this forum for a while know what I think of Steve Vai: that he's a highly skilled, but musically tasteless and very much overrated hack. THIS HAS CHANGED - in fact, I have had something of a reversal of opinion. In the university guitar ensemble, we've been playing "For the Love of God". Up until now, I thought it was one of the most vomitous cheese-fests ever written; but actually playing it with other people, and seeing a really good guitarist belt out that lead, has made me realise what a work of utter genius it is. It's fantastic! It's an excellent piece of music - a really quite amazing chord progression, some beautiful licks and, of course, the "Vai feel", which had never really clicked with me up until now. Don't get me wrong, I still think he's a bit overrated and that he over-shreds sometimes, but I now consider myself a fan - he's really good!

So, I've got "For the Love of God" and I'm familiar with some of his G3 stuff - any particular albums or standout tracks that you would recommend?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/25/2007 12:48 am
I'm with you on the overrated thing. I don't like "For the Love of God" at all. Just doesn't sound good to me.

But tracks I would recommend would be "Die to Live", "Liberty", "Yai Yai", "Bad Horsie", and pretty much anything on the G3 DVDs that you said you're familiar with. I don't like a ton of his stuff, but songs like "Juice" and "Building the Church" keep me listening.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/25/2007 3:48 am
The Reaper live on one of the G3 cd's. Iberian Jewel was my favorite by him before I heard that, so check out both.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
ren
ren
04/25/2007 11:21 am
Passion and Warfare.... often immitated but never bettered...

The latest album 'Real Illusions: Reflections' is also good... I don't think Vai is overrated, but he may be over-exposed (no, not like that.... :p ) - and he likes being 'out there'.... which doesn't appeal to all.

Don't think you could say he can't play though.... as a guitar player, you can learn something from more or less anything he's ever written....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
04/25/2007 2:02 pm
Vai comes to us from a different Planet
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 5
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
04/25/2007 7:48 pm
I'm definately into 'Boston Rain Melody' and 'Brandos Costumes(Gentle Ways)'. I bought the steve vai anthology and those tunes plus 'Tender Surrender' are like the only ones I listen to anymore.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/25/2007 11:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Julian VickersI'm definately into 'Boston Rain Melody' and 'Brandos Costumes(Gentle Ways)'. I bought the steve vai anthology and those tunes plus 'Tender Surrender' are like the only ones I listen to anymore.

Oh yeah, forgot Tender Surrender. Great tune. Also recommend that.

1 more, I also enjoy sisters.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 7
polansky
polansky
04/26/2007 12:53 am
Blue Powder, I would love to (awesome multi guitar track), The Animal, Bad Horsie, he has many great pieces... but i have to say yeah... Passion and Warefare is the best Vai record.

And live performances... I think the best one I've seen is The Audience is listening on the G3 Live in Tokio... it's just fire...

Rock on bro.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/26/2007 10:14 am
Cheers everyone, I'll give those a listen!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
pinfinity
pinfinity
05/03/2007 5:57 am
Originally Posted by: polanskyBlue Powder, I would love to (awesome multi guitar track), The Animal, Bad Horsie, he has many great pieces... but i have to say yeah... Passion and Warefare is the best Vai record.

And live performances... I think the best one I've seen is The Audience is listening on the G3 Live in Tokio... it's just fire...

Rock on bro.

Blue Powder is amazing! you prolly already know this but Vai wrote that song way before P&W. It was a floppy vinyl insert in an old Guitar Player Mag from early '80's(84 maybe?) Shortly after flexable came out. Check out his playing with the band Alcatrazz also; largely overlooked for some of the more "commercialized" hair bands of the day but well worth a listen.

PIN
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/04/2007 5:10 pm
Amazing guitarist, sometimes musically pretentious and unlistenable but you can't doubt the genius of most of the tracks on 'Passion And Warfare' and 'Alien Love Secrets' (Tender Surrender, Bad Horsie etc). A lot of the genius of Vai comes from his unique playing style and incredible use of equipment to create his signature tone.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.