View post (I have seen the light: Vai)

View thread

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/24/2007 11:08 pm
Most of you who have been around this forum for a while know what I think of Steve Vai: that he's a highly skilled, but musically tasteless and very much overrated hack. THIS HAS CHANGED - in fact, I have had something of a reversal of opinion. In the university guitar ensemble, we've been playing "For the Love of God". Up until now, I thought it was one of the most vomitous cheese-fests ever written; but actually playing it with other people, and seeing a really good guitarist belt out that lead, has made me realise what a work of utter genius it is. It's fantastic! It's an excellent piece of music - a really quite amazing chord progression, some beautiful licks and, of course, the "Vai feel", which had never really clicked with me up until now. Don't get me wrong, I still think he's a bit overrated and that he over-shreds sometimes, but I now consider myself a fan - he's really good!

So, I've got "For the Love of God" and I'm familiar with some of his G3 stuff - any particular albums or standout tracks that you would recommend?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>