View post (Iraq)

View thread

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/26/2007 12:13 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovHe can't leak something which is public knowledge. We're talking an issue which was raised publicly in Congress to rebut Democrats who were saying that there were never WMDs in Iraq; it did make it into the news but only for about a day or two.

I think the answer lies in part of the opening chapter to "The Skeptical Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg. He was talking about news reporting on the environment of course, but essentially the point he was getting at and fairly solidly proved was that bad news sells better than good news. It gets better ratings.

And truthfully... at this point, who really believes ANYTHING that comes out of Bush's mouth? Most of the world's population wants him to be wrong and will justify that desire any way they can.[/QUOTE]Ok I just don't get that if these chemical shells were the reason we went into Iraq why it wouldn't be a huge story. Apparently the public doesn't feel that those shells were enough to go to war over, I know I don't. I concede that I wouldn't want any weapons of that kind on any side.

[QUOTE=Raskolnikov]
The last time Iraq had a national election, there was like a 70 or 80% turn out of their electorate in spite of Al Queda making credible PROMISES that it was going to attack voters and polling stations... 45% is high for the United States where voting is not only safe, but an easy way to get out of work.

It seems to me that Iraqis value and desire their Democracy FAR more than we do. However, a tiny percentage of the population (generally representing foreign and not Iraqi interests) feels justified in usurping the Democratic process by incredibly violent means.

What kinds of cowards are we if we're to allow a violent minority to decide for a substantial majority which honestly desires a representative government?
We still have no right to go in and force it on them. If they want it so bad let them do it themselves. It's not that Iraq is politically divided but moreso religously divided. Who are we to go tell anyone how to live. Change has to come from within or it's bound to fail. I'm all for UN peacekeepers helping a fledgling government after the fact but to go in and be the cause to me is just not right.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons