View post (Iraq)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/25/2007 11:37 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaOk I can believe that, but why keep it a secret and let public support for the war dwindle. Why wouldn't Bush wanna at least save face by "leaking" something like that to the news. Surely not all media outlets are anti-Bush.[/quote]
He can't leak something which is public knowledge. We're talking an issue which was raised publicly in Congress to rebut Democrats who were saying that there were never WMDs in Iraq; it did make it into the news but only for about a day or two.

I think the answer lies in part of the opening chapter to "The Skeptical Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg. He was talking about news reporting on the environment of course, but essentially the point he was getting at and fairly solidly proved was that bad news sells better than good news. It gets better ratings.

And truthfully... at this point, who really believes ANYTHING that comes out of Bush's mouth? Most of the world's population wants him to be wrong and will justify that desire any way they can.

[QUOTE=magicninja]While I love democracy and believe it the best form of government currently available, I don't think it is America's job to go forcing it on everyone. Nobody came over here and forced it on us. The founding fathers up and decided to do it themselves. I think that's the way it has to be. By the people for the people. It might not be as easy today as it was 230 years ago but if the masses truly want power for themselves they can have it. I think we can broadcast why democracy has treated us so well over the last few centuries and let the people decide for themselves if democracy is worth losing thier lives. We say it all the time. "Alot of people have died for our freedom" and it's true. What are these countries we're liberating gonna say? "Alot of Americans died for our freedom?" Where's the honor in that?

The last time Iraq had a national election, there was like a 70 or 80% turn out of their electorate in spite of Al Queda making credible PROMISES that it was going to attack voters and polling stations... 45% is high for the United States where voting is not only safe, but an easy way to get out of work.

It seems to me that Iraqis value and desire their Democracy FAR more than we do. However, a tiny percentage of the population (generally representing foreign and not Iraqi interests) feels justified in usurping the Democratic process by incredibly violent means.

What kinds of cowards are we if we're to allow a violent minority to decide for a substantial majority which honestly desires a representative government?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons