View post (Iraq)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/24/2007 10:10 pm
Yes, we were all wrong together at the start of this. But being wrong at the begining of something is no reason to perpetuate it all along because you're afraid to admit the mistake. I too was ready for war on 9/11 and 9/12 and 9/13 and for quite some time after that. It was a simple case of bloodlust. I, and countless other Americans and other world citizens wanted their revenge.

But we went after the wrong people for the wrong reasons. This is supposed to be a war against Al Quida. (That's probably not spelled right but eh...). Sure, Iraq harbored them and in some instances trained and supported them. Heck, you can't look around the middle east, pretty much around the world, where there are no terrorist training camps. Maybe not Al Quida per se but any of a thousand other anti-American, anti-west groups filled with enough venom and vitriol to wage war until the end of time.

Do we go after them all?

No. We go after the ones that came after us. How many of those involved in 9/11 were Iraqi? How many involved in the first attack on the WTC were Iraqi? How many involved in the bombing of the U.S.S. Cole were Iraqi?

I guess the final question that I have is not whether we made a mistake by going to war. We did. I think we all agree. The question is now how much longer do we have to labor under this delusion that this is a righteous endeavor? It's not. Now that we are learning the truth, the real truth, how much longer can we ignore it?

I don't know if W. out and out lied about the WMD's or not. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that he and/or his adminstration has done just that. At this point, so many years and lives later, it really doesn't matter. I suspect that W. was caught up in the same bloodlust the hit everyone else and was easily manipulated into entering this war. By whom? Well, read your news and make up your own mind. And that's not an excuse for the Dems either. They went right along in line. I also doubt that this was about a chance for revenge against Saddam. That's an awful geo-political chance to take just so Dad will let you sit at the head of the table and carve the turkey at Thanksgiving.It reeks of profiterism and opportunistic policy advances.

What does matter is do we press on or not and if so, to what end? What is the final solution? The only possible outcome for any level of victory for the U.S. for this doomed venture is to declare Iraq a territory of the U.S. And quite frankly, it shames me as an American to think that is an actual possible scenerio.

When you enter a war, you do so with three very concrete ideals; a clear entrance, a clear mission and a clear and definite exit. Well, one out of three just ain't good enough. You've seen the news, you're read the reports. You know that there is no way that the U.S. can simply pull out the troops now. They can't. That would be as equal, if not greater, than the horror of war as it stands now.

I don't know what the answer is. But I do know that it is really, really frustrating to watch the stats roll every night of how many more have died. And they never really talk about the maimed, blinded and crippled for life that they fly back every day. They don't talk about the shadow army (mercenaries) that they pay to fight there as well. They don't tell you about the atrocities committed by this shadow army since they are contractors and not subject the UCMJ. They don't tell you about the profits that both American and world-wide companies have been raking in since this started.

No. They don't talk much about that.

Aw nuts, I did it again. When will I learn to keep my mouth shut?? :confused:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]