View post (a good ol' love song)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
05/08/2007 4:49 pm
I can rhyme, I just wrote a song that rhymes. It's about vikings, and it rhymes because it was a deliberate style choice.

And just so you know A LOT of songs don't rhyme. it doesn't make them not songs just because you don't want them to be. Like I said I don't have a problem with people rhyming read my post I said do what you want, and don't listen to other people. I didn't say I didn't want other people to hear the things I write, but I really don't care if you like it or if you buy it, cause I'm not selling it, you can listen if you want.

I can rhyme, Im not about to say that I am a crazy good rhymer or anything but I honestly don't find it that pleasing. A lot of great songs (and poems) don't rhyme they are still songs.

It is incredibly closed minded to say that if something doesn't fit your narrow definition of song that it is somehow not a song. Words over music = song, hell what about songs that don't have words they don't rhyme at all ever.

There is nothing wrong with being a traditionalist until you start telling people that what they are doing isn't good or correct because they don't conform to your traditionalist view of song writing.

I also should clarify and say that I don't mean never rhyme, if it fits and sounds good go for it. My view is though that you should find the best fit for your idea and not for the rhyme scheme. A word may qualify as a synonym and still not mean the same thing. Context is incredibly important, connotation, the words surrounding a word can change it's meaning. I don't think I need to go through all the ways you can manipulate language and the feeling of phrases and passages by the words you use. But there are things you can do other than rhyme and you certainly don't need to rhyme to utilize them.

And I am not talking about a "dairy" thank you very much. You can create a flow and cadence with words without rhyming. rhyming doesn't magically make things songs, it is one technique used by writers among many many others. What abut alliteration? thats not rhyming but it can create incredibly compelling phrases in a song, especially if the concept your expressing is interesting.

and this next part is on a personal level. No offense songman but please stop being so condescending. Your not here to save me or anyone else from our evil, non-rhyming ways or to give use life lessons on being more upbeat and happy. I am an educated, intelligent person and I don't need someone else to think for me, I think just fine thank you. I value other points of view because I understand that my way of thinking is not the only way to approach thought and I spend a lot of time reading and exposing myself to new experiences so that I have the largest possible spectrum of experience to draw upon when thinking about my environment.

When critiquing someone else it is only constructive if you approach it from their perspective, not your own and to understand their goals when writing. Then you provide feedback based on those goals and how you believe that person can better reach them. Otherwise you are just trying to create a bunch of yous, which is fairly narcissistic. I'm not calling anyone names, a narcissist would be doing it on purpose... sorta.