Real 'tube' pedals

strat-man
strat-man
04/18/2007 6:51 pm
Any of you guys used em? got any thoughts/experience's of em? I'm thinkin about gettin a couple, so any info appreciated.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
04/18/2007 8:00 pm
They just offer that tube tone... mostly they're for use with solid state amps... If you already use a tube amp they're not going to do much for you. Besides empty your bank account more than necessary. haha.

I've played a few overdrive pedals that have sounded great... If you're using solid state amps, I say go for it...
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/19/2007 11:19 am
They work equally well with solid state and tube amps. Just like any pedal, some work with certain amps better than others. If at all possible, try before you buy, or at least make sure that you can return the pedals for a refund in case they don't work well with your gear. Also, just because it's got a tube in it, doesn't mean that it actually gets any added tone from the tube, and doesn't mean that it will sound "tubey", and doesn't mean that it's any better than a similar non-tube pedal.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
04/19/2007 5:35 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaThey work equally well with solid state and tube amps. Just like any pedal, some work with certain amps better than others. If at all possible, try before you buy, or at least make sure that you can return the pedals for a refund in case they don't work well with your gear. Also, just because it's got a tube in it, doesn't mean that it actually gets any added tone from the tube, and doesn't mean that it will sound "tubey", and doesn't mean that it's any better than a similar non-tube pedal.

All good points!

My experience with different non-tube and tube pedals is that the newer ones that use circuitry instead of actual tubes work equally as well at mimicing tube sounds... 10-15 years ago that wasn't the case though. Like PRS said, try before you buy.
# 4
strat-man
strat-man
04/19/2007 8:50 pm
Thanx for the info guys, appreciate it, it's not so much 'tube' tone that i'm after, was thinking more along the lines of it adding a little 'warmth' to a solid state amp, just somethin i've been reading about recently.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 5
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
04/19/2007 8:58 pm
I sometimes use a Rocktron Silver Dragon pedal in my setup. It's got a tube in it. It's got an overdrive-type distortion which uses only the tube...but then you can step on the high-gain channel which incorporates a solid-state circuit along with the tube for some peel-your-face-off distortion. It's a pretty effective pedal. I think I paid around $120 for it.
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/19/2007 9:11 pm
Yeah I have a Digitech RP14D which has Tube circuitry. More so it's a multi effects pedal. it's not bad but I don't use it much.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.