If looking at the fretboard...
I HOPE A minor pent starting on the 3rd fret is

|----3---5-------|
|----3---5-------|
|----2---5-------|
|----2---5-------|
|----3---5-------|
|----3---5-------|

Then would A minor penta move down to this???

|----0---3-------|
|----1---3-------|
|----0---2-------|
|----0---2-------|
|----0---3-------|
|----0---3-------|

Any help is always a good thing ;)
# 1

04/18/2007 11:22 am
Yes it is one of the A minor pentatonic "box" or position you can use

Since the notes are A,C,D,E,G you are still playing in A minor Pentatonic using this positioning.

I think you understand how to figure out the different position. Now the next step I'd suggest is to try and move through them while playing so they suck in your memory.

A good exercise is to play them (starting from the last one you've written here) in sequence upwards and backwards. So from the top of the neck towards the bridge and once you get to the bridge, go back towards the top of the neck playing all the positions.

After that try every OTHER positions, that's tricky but that's how they'll stuck in your memory forever.

Good work so far, keep it up.
# 2
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
04/18/2007 2:26 pm
you could also check this guy out. -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qw03-3gFg
Many drops of water make a river, many grains of rice make a large basket, do not underestimate your own potential, and do not think of any good deed as too small to do. - Master Shih Cheng-yen

Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
# 3
Buoy
Buoy
04/18/2007 4:09 pm
I thought this was a good lesson on that - http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9535&s_id=185

Kept me busy for a while, still is.

The part about doing the ascending and descending triplets I thought was really useful - it helps to commit the shapes to muscle memory. I've also been trying to say the number of the note as I play it so I can know where I am - then jump around to different shapes on the right number. Realy fun to be moving all over the fret board.

Buoy
# 4

04/18/2007 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: BuoyI thought this was a good lesson on that - http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9535&s_id=185

Kept me busy for a while, still is.

The part about doing the ascending and descending triplets I thought was really useful - it helps to commit the shapes to muscle memory. I've also been trying to say the number of the note as I play it so I can know where I am - then jump around to different shapes on the right number. Realy fun to be moving all over the fret board.

Buoy

Yep, Christopher's tutorial on pentatonic scales are great. I think he has a great way of explaining things. Anyone wanting to learn how to use these scales should check those tutorials. I've been playing 15 years and I've learned new ways of looking at the pentatonic with those lessons. Great stuff.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.