Tuning with a Floyd Rose

adar
adar
10/02/2001 7:38 pm
I am not a complete newbie, although you could carry the extent of my guitar skill in a larg-ish thimble, however, I have unbelievable trouble with Floyd Rose trems. I have a Samick Artist series guitar (I believe it is a KR660, although I can't find the info right now) with Floyd Rose Tremelo. I removed all of the strings to replace them instead of swapping them out one at a time (a move which I have since come to regret). Once I put the new strings on, I can't seem to get the thing in tune. I have an electronic tuner, so I did not think this would be difficult, but regardless of whether I start tuning from Low E or High E, when I am done, the strings I started with are now out of tune. I was able to tune using harmonics on the fifth frets, so the notes are in tune relative to each other, but are still much lower than they should be. Does anyone have some helpful hints on how to place new strings on a guitar with a Floyd Rose Trem, and then get it in tune?
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/02/2001 9:07 pm
My guitar has floating bridge... and i can tell you with the aid of an electric tuner it's easy, but requires patients...
All you have to do is tune normally, and once you've finished you'll find that the rest of the strings have gone out (as there's more tension, and the bridge moves). You then have to do this again. And again, and again, and again... it's a pain, but if you imagine the fool who convinced you buying a guitar with such a bridge having their knee caps being shot off it makes it a lot easier...
If you dont have perfect pitch and you try to use relative tunnig, don't bother it's impossible...
hope that's helped... :)
# 2
jarviss
jarviss
10/03/2001 6:02 am
first.....you got all your strings on.....

1st..apply pressure to the wammy bar..so that it's relatively level....(not pushed down or pulled up)...just like if it was in tune..and floating in normal position......

2nd...while you're holding your bar in that position..tune your strings as close as you can to pitch with your tuner..

3. when its relatively in tune..let go of the wammy bar and hopefully it wont go way up or way down...but with practice you can make it so it stays there..

4. pick your strings one at a time and notice if they are all sharp or flat...if they are all sharp...lower your HIGH E string past pitch...like even a D...then go to the next string..(b) and tune lower past pitch again...keep doin this up the strings...(high e to low e)
always tuning a little less past pitch....because if you tune it right on...the next string you tune will affect the one you just tuned
(i hope i'm explaining this right)

4a... if all the strings are relatively FLAT...
tune the LOW E string up past E (up to like F#)...
and go to the A string...tune past the A slightly...
D..same thing
G...little past pitch
B.. almost right on
high E...tune on pitch..
go back thru and fine tune the rest...

it's always a good idea to get your guitar in tune by starting lower than pitch..so that when you tighten your tuners...it keeps it in tension...
if you go down....it may go out of tune easier...

i hope this helps....
reply if not..i'll try to "break it down" a little easier

it works for me and my floyd rose floating trem

yo
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/04/2001 9:48 pm

I've had the same exact problem with my guitar's Floyd-Rose setup.

They're a lot of trouble to get set up, but once you get it in tune, it's worth it. I don't think I've tuned my guitar in a month, and it always stays perfectly in tune, even when I'm doing all sorts of crazy whammy stuff and bending like a mofo.

Jarviss gives some good advice. Since the bridge is "floating" on the springs, the tension of each string affects the tension of the others. This holds especially true when you're tuning the lower strings, which are fatter and hold more tension. When you tune the lower strings up, the higher strings will go flat. And vice-versa.

To get around this you can try one of two things.

You can first tune all the strings using your tuner. Your lower strings will end up being flat and the higher strings will be sharp. Then raise your lower strings by a half step or so, and tune everything relatively using harmonics. Everything should fall into place, but you will have to repeat this process almost every time you play because the tension across the bridge is unbalanced.

Or you can just tune your guitar with the tuner, (the low strings will be flat and the high strings sharp again) and just tune everything relatively from the low E string. After doing this a few times the guitar will find its natural place where the tensions are even across the bridge, and everything will be cool. This is what I do, and the guitar usually ends up somewhere between E and Eb.
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/05/2001 9:43 am
Oh yeah i forgot... there's another way of doing it, when your old strings are on and in tune, get a peice if card board/ folded paper etc, and put this under the bridge (i dont think you can do this for floyd rose, but it does work for floating bridges), to stop the bridge from moving towards the body... then just tune down, take the strings off, put the new ones on, tune them up, and pull the card board out. You'll still fid them a little out of tune, but you only have to tune up once or twice more as opposed to sitting there for half an hour trying to get the damn thing in tune...
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.