want to start a band...

force_of_shred
force_of_shred
04/10/2007 3:35 am
ok I 'v e decided to put up a poster in some music stores that will state my need for a drummer, etc, and I don't know what a good layout would be for the poster.

any tips for writing a good "wanted: drummer, rhythm guitarist, bassist, vocalist, etc" poster? should i look for a drummer first, or should i try to find everybody at once?
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/10/2007 4:13 am
Originally Posted by: poster
WANTED!

Musicians for (genre) band

Rhythm guitarist, bassist, drummer, vocalist, interested in the style of:

(list off a bunch of bands you're into)

Contact (your name) at (phone #) for more information

(Then at the bottom have the tear-off phone number things.)

I don't know if that helps much, that was just off the top of my head. But I'd do it something like that.
# 2
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
04/10/2007 1:09 pm
In addition to the excellent suggestions by earthman, I would write your contact number at the bottom many times vertically all acroos the bottom then take scissors and cut each number up a bit. This way people can easily tear off your contact number and there will be plenty left for others.
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/10/2007 7:47 pm
dude, not saying this isnt a good idea or anything, but from personal experiance, its alot easier and better to form a band with people you already know. the band will probably stick together easier that way too.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
04/10/2007 9:06 pm
Hey great tips guys,I have one more issue though, how would I word what age group im looking for because I'm 18 and i don't want little kids around really but I also don't want to be playing with people way older( Id be pretty intimidated) it just would seem odd to me right now.

oh yeah and about the people I know thing, I wish I did but I don't know anyone here, I just moved.
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 5
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
04/10/2007 9:21 pm
Try This Site:

Bandmix.com

Scroll down to the browse by sate section on that page and pick your state. You can search through others ads and add your own. It's just another place to try. Your idea is good and I would try it. Post your name, years playing and age on the ad so others will have an idea about you.
# 6
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
04/10/2007 10:17 pm
looks like a great site but i live in Canada :(
if there is any site like that for canada id love to take a look
# 7
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
04/11/2007 12:03 am
Originally Posted by: rockonn91dude, not saying this isnt a good idea or anything, but from personal experiance, its alot easier and better to form a band with people you already know. the band will probably stick together easier that way too.

I think this is best too, but sometimes you don't know anyone who plays. The methods listed are a great way to meet new players and get things going.
# 8
Byron Marks
Byron Marks
04/11/2007 2:17 am
The best approach is to be direct and state exactly who you're looking for and what style(s) you're infulenced by.
# 9
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
04/11/2007 7:54 pm
Originally Posted by: force_of_shredlooks like a great site but i live in Canada :(
if there is any site like that for canada id love to take a look

If you look on the top right of the web site it has a Canadian flag. Try there.
# 10
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
04/12/2007 3:32 am
ahh cool I now have a profile there. thanx great idea man
# 11
dvenetian
dvenetian
04/12/2007 6:00 am
You may want to look into joining a band to get your feet wet. It's much easier than trying to form a band from scratch and then having to weed through the riff raff; are they good enough? Do they have descent gear? Can they play well with others? did your new vocalist just get released from Prison????? etc....... You get the point.
A band looking for a new guitarist or adding another to the lineup, is already somewhat established, which becomes a great learning experience for you to build on. One of the greatest opportunities offered to you as a musician is the ability to experience a humble approach being the new guy. Being able to maintain those initial qualities will earn respect with any band member you're involved with for life. Losing sight of this allows Egos to flare and the beginning of destruction.
Good Luck.
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2007 7:46 am
I think it's a good idea to get across what age group and skill level you're expecting. You'll get everything from newbie kids to seasoned veterans that might respond so you don't want to waste their time.

Personally, when I see an ad the first thing that catches me is the title.
"Guitarist Wanted". Then the location. "Toronto" (gotta know where I have to drive to)
An age range "Guitarist wanted, age 18 to 25 for ..." followed by musical styles and what's expected. (ie, I'm not interested in 16 years olds starting their first band so tell me up front what you're looking for)

Below that, any information about a specific image you're looking for.
Then all you need is a large copy of the telephone number on the actual ad with plenty of tear offs below it. Tear a few off ahead of time so it looks like somebody has already expressed an interest and that it's a popular ad.
Then check back regularly and change it up a bit each time so it isn't the same ad sitting there for 2 months. Also check to be sure none of the staff has removed your ad to make room for new ones.

Lastly, get an answering machine or voice mail and don't use a phone number that your mom & dad answer, cause there's nothing more embarrasing than hearing "Joey... there's a man on the phone who wants to play with you?"
# 13
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
04/13/2007 4:57 pm
I dont know if this will help but I was digging around online and found a local music/band comunity for my town. It has an events section where bands post upcoming showes etc... also has a guitar, drums, keyboard, section. The coolest thing is it has a classified section. Im seeing about every week someone looking for a band or a certon instiment. Might just want to check for that. I am really glad I have gotten involved in the comunity. I have meet a ton of musictions and allthough I suck really bad now I have become friends with many bands and local buisness owners. I know when im ready to start playing I wont have a problem finding a band. Just an idea.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 14
ravenx495
ravenx495
04/19/2007 12:18 am
Originally Posted by: force_of_shredok I 'v e decided to put up a poster in some music stores that will state my need for a drummer, etc, and I don't know what a good layout would be for the poster.

any tips for writing a good "wanted: drummer, rhythm guitarist, bassist, vocalist, etc" poster? should i look for a drummer first, or should i try to find everybody at once?

This kinda only works in my opinion if you lose one band member and need a replacement. So you make poster that says "need (instrument) player for (genre) band". Know what I mean? Posters don't work cause it's better to know and be friends with the people you start with.
Like a phoenix rising from the flames...

...so shall the epic journey unfold as we discover our ancient future and craft legends through fire and flight.

This is a night of trance...
# 15
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
04/20/2007 2:21 am
so what if i don't know anybody and there aren't any bands here looking for guitarists,and if they were I know they likely would not be in my genre.
this is because all the "metal" bands here are screamo which is definately not what im looking for. Soo yeah i want to start an old school metal band like Megadeth or old Metallica.

how do you start a band from scratch without knowing anybody at all? :confused:
# 16
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
04/20/2007 12:09 pm
Here are some things you can try in your case. Hang out in local music stores as much as possible, and simply talk to people. Ask them questions and see if you can get something started. Every great band started with two people saying to one another "Yea man, I play music, lets get together and jam"
# 17
pinfinity
pinfinity
04/21/2007 7:39 am
Don't let these pearls of wisdom sink in 20-30 years from now...

Focus on your writing. Period.

In my experience, good musicians are like mercury in that they have a way of finding each other.

Try to really focus on your playing/ writing and becoming accomplished and polished at what you do. Your name will get out if you have some original material. Keep a spare cd and contact info with you or in your guitar case at all times. It doesn't really have to be that polished a demo, just good enough to show your creativity and originality. Try to frequent as many music stores as possible and play your originals.( of course you will go there under the pretense of trying out a new instrument or head/cabinet; whatever) Not to say you should go to a different one every day; just show your face and talent around and the right ears will eventually hear you.

Music store people are always looking out for new meat and the cream of the crop usually reside in the same circles as these people...besides, these are the people you want to play/write with anyway. 9 outta 10 times they will approach you. Writing your own material and keeping copies with you says that you are a professional and like minded people will be drawn to you.

Also, if you have the means and are really serious about your music I would suggest you attend at least a week at one of the National Guitar Summer Workshop's. It is a phenominal experience and your creativity and ability will explode. There are some really great people at those workshops.

If you can't afford this, simply take lessons from someone at one of the stores you wil be going to; or someone(maybe an "older" person who has a little theory under their belt) Try to get to the point in your study where you are concentrating on diatonic chord harmony the most. This is where you will really take off.

It is always a good idea to surround yourself with people who are better players than you...Period. Please don't let "older" people intimidate you. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from them and they have traveled the same road you are starting down.

Some of the finest musicians I have ever had the pleasure to work with were alot older than me. Alot. They also made me reach deep down to find who I was on my instrument and finding your own voice is probably the hardest thing to do.

I hope this helps you. Please don't think I'm being preachy :)
# 18
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
05/04/2007 7:41 am
well i posted up an ad to to start a band and i ended up getting a call to join one instead with no tryout.I also got another interested fellow that left me a message that he's intereseted in starting somthing, i havent gotten a chance to talkt to him yet though.

im interested in what you giys think, should I just go to this band and see whats up and scrap the idea of starting one from scratch or should i join and also check into this other guy who was interested?

as in to try to to both or pick one idea?

im leaning towards doing both because i don't want to miss out on any oppertunities with local musicians.
# 19
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/04/2007 8:14 am
Best thing to do is meet with em. Get a feel for who they are and hang out for awhile. Jam a few tunes and get feelf for how good they are.

I can't count the amount of times I've turned down a band cause of things like the band having crappy equipment, or a loudmouth in the band or even worse... a guy who can't play.

Figure on the fact that you'll be meeting with these guys several times a week, so can ya stand putting up with em.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.