View post (want to start a band...)

View thread

pinfinity
pinfinity
04/21/2007 7:39 am
Don't let these pearls of wisdom sink in 20-30 years from now...

Focus on your writing. Period.

In my experience, good musicians are like mercury in that they have a way of finding each other.

Try to really focus on your playing/ writing and becoming accomplished and polished at what you do. Your name will get out if you have some original material. Keep a spare cd and contact info with you or in your guitar case at all times. It doesn't really have to be that polished a demo, just good enough to show your creativity and originality. Try to frequent as many music stores as possible and play your originals.( of course you will go there under the pretense of trying out a new instrument or head/cabinet; whatever) Not to say you should go to a different one every day; just show your face and talent around and the right ears will eventually hear you.

Music store people are always looking out for new meat and the cream of the crop usually reside in the same circles as these people...besides, these are the people you want to play/write with anyway. 9 outta 10 times they will approach you. Writing your own material and keeping copies with you says that you are a professional and like minded people will be drawn to you.

Also, if you have the means and are really serious about your music I would suggest you attend at least a week at one of the National Guitar Summer Workshop's. It is a phenominal experience and your creativity and ability will explode. There are some really great people at those workshops.

If you can't afford this, simply take lessons from someone at one of the stores you wil be going to; or someone(maybe an "older" person who has a little theory under their belt) Try to get to the point in your study where you are concentrating on diatonic chord harmony the most. This is where you will really take off.

It is always a good idea to surround yourself with people who are better players than you...Period. Please don't let "older" people intimidate you. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from them and they have traveled the same road you are starting down.

Some of the finest musicians I have ever had the pleasure to work with were alot older than me. Alot. They also made me reach deep down to find who I was on my instrument and finding your own voice is probably the hardest thing to do.

I hope this helps you. Please don't think I'm being preachy :)