If you know anthing about guitar history...

rockonn91
rockonn91
03/13/2007 10:07 pm
Hey guys.

I have a pretty major English research project coming up, and the topic I chose for myself is:

"the effect of the electric guitar on Jazz and Blues"

So basically if you guys have any pointers on where to go with that, it'd be totally wicked. Right now, all I have is
    some history on the invention of it (how the invention of the radio pushed the invention of amplified instruments, and the first guitar was the "Flying Pan" by Rickenbacher.)

how artists like BB King, Muddy Waters, Buddy guy, etc rocked out to amplified guitars in their music. also how Charlie Christian was basically one of the first players with a distinctly "electric" style.

...then branching off from the last point is how because of the electric instruments, blues was transformed into rock n roll by artists like Elvis... then as rock developed, artists like Eric Clapton, Led Zep, and the Stones took their blues roots, but added in harder rock.

...I know about the evolution of Jazz (ragtime -> swing + big bands-> bebop -> Hard bop + cool jazz -> modal jazz -> fusion -> Acid Jazz + Funk) fusion is the one I'll really be focusing on.

okay, so thats it. *whew* uhhh, it may look like I know all that I need to, but those are just topics I know. I dont really know details. so if anyone has any ideas on any of said topics, or if I missed/messed up stuff, that'd be great.

rock on, guys!
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/13/2007 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91Hey guys.

I have a pretty major English research project coming up, and the topic I chose for myself is:

"the effect of the electric guitar on Jazz and Blues"

So basically if you guys have any pointers on where to go with that, it'd be totally wicked. Right now, all I have is
    some history on the invention of it (how the invention of the radio pushed the invention of amplified instruments, and the first guitar was the "Flying Pan" by Rickenbacher.)

how artists like BB King, Muddy Waters, Buddy guy, etc rocked out to amplified guitars in their music. also how Charlie Christian was basically one of the first players with a distinctly "electric" style.

...then branching off from the last point is how because of the electric instruments, blues was transformed into rock n roll by artists like Elvis... then as rock developed, artists like Eric Clapton, Led Zep, and the Stones took their blues roots, but added in harder rock.

...I know about the evolution of Jazz (ragtime -> swing + big bands-> bebop -> Hard bop + cool jazz -> modal jazz -> fusion -> Acid Jazz + Funk) fusion is the one I'll really be focusing on.

okay, so thats it. *whew* uhhh, it may look like I know all that I need to, but those are just topics I know. I dont really know details. so if anyone has any ideas on any of said topics, or if I missed/messed up stuff, that'd be great.

rock on, guys!

Read a book called 'Guitar-An American Life' by Tim Brookes. It'll be great resource for you. Especially regarding the movement from acoustic to electric in blues/jazz. Interestingly too is how the electric guitar figured into big band ala Christian as well as it's influence on country music.

Good luck.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/13/2007 10:20 pm
thanks man!

I had forgotten that I need as many book sources as possible. thats a definate plus. rock on. :cool:

# 3
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
03/14/2007 1:39 am
dude that is an awesome topic...i wish i had the luxury of working on stuff like that..i wud gladly and merrily do it...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/14/2007 1:56 am
"Ampeg - The Story Behind The Sound" should help to fill in some of the gaps for you. Everett Hull hated Rock'n'Roll, but he loved Jazz, and his amps served both genres very, very well. The foreword to the book was written by Les Paul himself, which should tell you something right there.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
03/14/2007 2:26 am
sorry for the hijack, buuuut... I see you live in Richmond. Are you in HS or college? If you're in HS, do you have any colleges picked out yet?

Might I suggest Tech? Wonderful school... but alas, I'm biased.
# 6
pnuma
pnuma
03/15/2007 11:45 pm
Awesome topic!! sorry i don't have any references or advice for ya though...
# 7
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/16/2007 12:50 am
Found three more for you.

The History of the Blues: Frances Davis (well researched and a decent read too. You'll learn alot about the ties between jazz and blues ala W.C. Handy to Robert Johnson and beyond. It's not sepcifically about the guitar but you'll pick up some interesting tidbits. For example how the guitar stepped from pure acoustic to resonators/dobros to electric...etc)

and

Rock and Roll - an unruly history: Robert Palmer. This is the companion book to a series that was on PBS a while back. Nicely done. Easy read and very detailed.

and finally:

Deep Blue: Robert Palmer. Also a very well written book. Good stuff.

I too am a little envious of your project. I think I would have fun writing something like that back in school. Should make for interesting reading which means it should be an interesting paper to write. Again, good luck.
# 8
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/16/2007 12:55 am
Hunter, man... awesome.

I got the first book, its a pretty good help- ill check out the other three.

and LatS...I couldnt find the Ampeg book in any of the libraries around here! bummer. Thanks though.

# 9
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/16/2007 1:04 am
Originally Posted by: rockonn91Hunter, man... awesome.

I got the first book, its a pretty good help- ill check out the other three.

and LatS...I couldnt find the Ampeg book in any of the libraries around here! bummer. Thanks though.

You're more than welcome. Always glad to help where I can. :)
# 10
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/16/2007 4:26 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings"Ampeg - The Story Behind The Sound" should help to fill in some of the gaps for you. Everett Hull hated Rock'n'Roll, but he loved Jazz, and his amps served both genres very, very well. The foreword to the book was written by Les Paul himself, which should tell you something right there.

Great Reference.
You will also find a lot of info by researching the history of Les Paul and his influence on the electric guitar industry. From his famous creation named "The Log" (One of the first solid body electric guitars) made from a 4x4 pine fence post, to his contract with Gibson when he forced them to remove his name from a guitar they designed that he disliked without his knowledge. That new design had to be renamed and is what we know as the "SG" AKA Solid Guitar (I think Les made a big mistake with that one, since the SG became another one of Gibson's best sellers).
Some other trivia that you may not find is that Les Paul is Steve Miller's Godfather and taught Miller how to play his first chords as a child. How awesome it would be to take lessons from a Legacy that has been inducted into the Hall of almost everything!!!!!!!!!!!
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/16/2007 4:35 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetian... to his contract with Gibson when he forced them to remove his name from a guitar they designed that he disliked without his knowledge. That new design had to be renamed and is what we know as the "SG" AKA Solid Guitar (I think Les made a big mistake with that one, since the SG became another one of Gibson's best sellers)....

The SG was, and remains, a very, very bad design, from a mechanical point of view. The neck/body joint has been a significant weak point in all of the various versions of this model. Lester was quite right in insisting that his name be removed from this part of the Gibson lineup. His advice was ignored - his design concepts were overruled - and his name was gratuitously applied to a sub-standard product that he had no part in bringing into production. Of course he was outraged. The SG has been a big seller, but that does nothing to counter the fact that it's a POS. Anyone who listens to the radio can tell you that popularity has [u]nothing[/u] to do with quality! :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 12
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/16/2007 6:00 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsThe SG was, and remains, a very, very bad design, from a mechanical point of view. The neck/body joint has been a significant weak point in all of the various versions of this model. Lester was quite right in insisting that his name be removed from this part of the Gibson lineup. His advice was ignored - his design concepts were overruled - and his name was gratuitously applied to a sub-standard product that he had no part in bringing into production. Of course he was outraged. The SG has been a big seller, but that does nothing to counter the fact that it's a POS. Anyone who listens to the radio can tell you that popularity has [u]nothing[/u] to do with quality! :p

Betcha this will open a can of worms, for sure. The initial SG design definitely had problems from the neck joint and the neck pickup and needed to be redesigned, including repositioning the neck pickup back as part of the weakening problems.
As far as quality goes, the SG has been played by many greats since it was introduced back in the early 1960's. Clapton's famous SG nicknamed "Fool" was used extensively throughout his career with "Cream".
A few others that play/played an SG;
George Harrison
Hendrix (Dick Cavett show appearence)
Buckethead
Buck Dharma
The Edge
Pete Townshend
Tony Iommi
Angus Young
Although I personally play a Les Paul Standard, The SG must have something behind it with those heavy hitters using em, IMO.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/16/2007 6:32 am
You can research my posts on this forum, or spread your search to include such things as Iommi's remarks about his SG changing tuning depending on which way the wind was blowing - the facts remain unchanged. The Fool was given to Clapton by a group of artists who didn't know one end from t'other, and never was a major part of his recording lineup. With the exception of Mr. Young, all of us have dabbled with the flexi-beast, and moved on.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/16/2007 11:18 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsYou can research my posts on this forum, or spread your search to include such things as Iommi's remarks about his SG changing tuning depending on which way the wind was blowing - the facts remain unchanged. The Fool was given to Clapton by a group of artists who didn't know one end from t'other, and never was a major part of his recording lineup. With the exception of Mr. Young, all of us have dabbled with the flexi-beast, and moved on.

With close to 6,000 posts, that would take quite some time. Never been a fan of the SG design personally and never will be. I prefer my Les Paul, it's solid as a rock.
# 15
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/17/2007 10:36 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsYou can research my posts on this forum, or spread your search to include such things as Iommi's remarks about his SG changing tuning depending on which way the wind was blowing - the facts remain unchanged. The Fool was given to Clapton by a group of artists who didn't know one end from t'other, and never was a major part of his recording lineup. With the exception of Mr. Young, all of us have dabbled with the flexi-beast, and moved on.

Ok. Finally got through that monster sized history of your posts. You should write a book. Some great stuff there. Funny, you have a post from about 5 years ago in regard to some Faded SG sales and pricing. I wonder how many recurring topics get posted that were discussed years ago.
I'm looking @ some new gear that I'm unfamiliar with, I'll post it in the appropriate area before I purchase. Your input would be appreciated.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.