View post (If you know anthing about guitar history...)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/13/2007 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91Hey guys.

I have a pretty major English research project coming up, and the topic I chose for myself is:

"the effect of the electric guitar on Jazz and Blues"

So basically if you guys have any pointers on where to go with that, it'd be totally wicked. Right now, all I have is
    some history on the invention of it (how the invention of the radio pushed the invention of amplified instruments, and the first guitar was the "Flying Pan" by Rickenbacher.)

how artists like BB King, Muddy Waters, Buddy guy, etc rocked out to amplified guitars in their music. also how Charlie Christian was basically one of the first players with a distinctly "electric" style.

...then branching off from the last point is how because of the electric instruments, blues was transformed into rock n roll by artists like Elvis... then as rock developed, artists like Eric Clapton, Led Zep, and the Stones took their blues roots, but added in harder rock.

...I know about the evolution of Jazz (ragtime -> swing + big bands-> bebop -> Hard bop + cool jazz -> modal jazz -> fusion -> Acid Jazz + Funk) fusion is the one I'll really be focusing on.

okay, so thats it. *whew* uhhh, it may look like I know all that I need to, but those are just topics I know. I dont really know details. so if anyone has any ideas on any of said topics, or if I missed/messed up stuff, that'd be great.

rock on, guys!

Read a book called 'Guitar-An American Life' by Tim Brookes. It'll be great resource for you. Especially regarding the movement from acoustic to electric in blues/jazz. Interestingly too is how the electric guitar figured into big band ala Christian as well as it's influence on country music.

Good luck.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]