Super Squier Neck? Out of the normal

damaged
damaged
03/09/2007 3:41 pm
Storys Sort of long so theres 2 versions :cool:

--Long--

Ok here's the story a few years ago, when I still was still going to guitar lessons my teacher (A family friend ever since i was born) had bought a Squier Stat due to a diferent looking maple neck. A few of these squiers came to the local music shop which most of the guitarist who worked there bought one but later sold it for $150 (about as much as they cost for the workers at our local music shop) to his nephew. Well his nephew played guitar only a handful of times and quite. Which brings me to now I this guitar is up for sale but im not sure weather to buy it as I would only be buying it because of the very diferent maple neck I was told that the wood on the neck was high quality and shouldn't of been on such a cheap instrument?
The maple on the neck is best described very flamey it's clearly diferent from any other neck I have seen on a Squier and even Mid priced fender's

-Short-

Is very flamey maple a good neck or a bad neck?
Im trying to look for pictures as an example.
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
03/09/2007 4:05 pm

^^ The neck of my number one American Fender Strat...

Flamed maple necks are the same as regular maple necks, they've just been flamed before they were finished... Which generally adds value to the neck. Aside from the way it looks, it's going to feel and sound just like any other maple neck. Solid maple necks generally get a more clear, trebly tone when compared to necks with rosewood slabs... Rosewood fretboards get more of a warm tone.

Squire makes more than just the run-of-the-mill cheap Squire. Just like Fender, Squire has different price level of guitars... some of them go all the way up to close to 300 dollars... I know they make a guitar with a flamed maple top... not sure if it was available with a flamed maple neck or not... But the guitar ran for around 250 new... it might be one of those models...
# 2
damaged
damaged
03/10/2007 1:46 am
Thanks that helped alot. :)
The neck was just on the low range Squier Strats ($200-250 Australian)
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/10/2007 5:48 am
Originally Posted by: aschleman... Flamed maple necks are the same as regular maple necks, they've just been flamed before they were finished...

??? :confused: WTF have you been smoking?

"Flame" refers to the visible grain pattern. It's a result of ripples that were produced by distortion of the grain, due to bending, or pressure, as the tree grew. Flamed woods are usually cut from the base of the tree, near the roots, or where a large limb meets the trunk. "Quilting" is more of the same, only the wood has been cut at a different angle relative to the grain. "Burl" is actually cut from the root.

In theory, the grain should be straight and clear for maximum strength. In practice, the neck is strong enough that warping due to string and truss rod tension is unlikely.

Enjoy the beauty of the wood. Both sight and sound.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.