Strict Alternate picking versus Economy picking

IbanezRG770
IbanezRG770
03/04/2007 6:56 pm
I have been playing about a year and have adhered to strict alternate/Economy picking. But lately I have noticed that some of the instructions I see want me to alternate pick when economy would be the obvious choice. For instance say you are going from E to A to D. I would normally do this in a sweep picking style. All downstrokes. Then continue with Alternate picking when it applies. But I have seen several instructions where they want you to hop over the string and pick upward to continue in the strict alternate fashion when you still need to go downward after that string. My Question is Why? This seems like such a wasted movement and a slower way to play. I have heard someone say it gives a more percussive sound. So I tried it both ways and can hear no difference. The reason I am even worried about this is because I do not want to find out at a more advanced stage that I am limited in my abilities because of this. Plus If I have to train myself to do it that way I want to know now while it still might be possible to get rid of any bad habits. Any answers are appreciated.
Thanks!
# 1
clewnii
clewnii
03/04/2007 8:38 pm
Originally Posted by: IbanezRG770I have been playing about a year and have adhered to strict alternate/Economy picking. But lately I have noticed that some of the instructions I see want me to alternate pick when economy would be the obvious choice. For instance say you are going from E to A to D. I would normally do this in a sweep picking style. All downstrokes. Then continue with Alternate picking when it applies. But I have seen several instructions where they want you to hop over the string and pick upward to continue in the strict alternate fashion when you still need to go downward after that string. My Question is Why? This seems like such a wasted movement and a slower way to play. I have heard someone say it gives a more percussive sound. So I tried it both ways and can hear no difference. The reason I am even worried about this is because I do not want to find out at a more advanced stage that I am limited in my abilities because of this. Plus If I have to train myself to do it that way I want to know now while it still might be possible to get rid of any bad habits. Any answers are appreciated.
Thanks!

Some players flat out alternate-pick EVERYTHING, those players will tell you to do the same. Simple as that. You will be able to go faster with sweeping and thats all good but I would suggest you practise both ways if you have the time for it.
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/04/2007 9:38 pm
if you cant econimy pick very well then the alternate method is better. i am not good at econimy picking, so i find it easier to alternate pick everythin. if u can econimy pick then do so. the only thing with econimy picking is it seems to taske planning to me. when i improvise i decide what note i want to play then play it. if i was econimy picking i would also have to concetrate on what my right hand is doin. where as if i strict econimy pick i dont. because its just up down up down. no decisions made. this makes it easier to improvise, for me.

it is always good to have good alternate picking to fall back on when econiy fails, at least thats my thought.

only other thing is i find i can keep rythm better with alternate picking. i dunno if this aplies to you.
# 3
IbanezRG770
IbanezRG770
03/05/2007 12:09 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderif you cant econimy pick very well then the alternate method is better. i am not good at econimy picking, so i find it easier to alternate pick everythin. if u can econimy pick then do so. the only thing with econimy picking is it seems to taske planning to me. when i improvise i decide what note i want to play then play it. if i was econimy picking i would also have to concetrate on what my right hand is doin. where as if i strict econimy pick i dont. because its just up down up down. no decisions made. this makes it easier to improvise, for me.

it is always good to have good alternate picking to fall back on when econiy fails, at least thats my thought.

only other thing is i find i can keep rythm better with alternate picking. i dunno if this aplies to you.

I am just the opposite. If I am descending then I sweep without thinking about it but if I have to hit multiple notes on the same string then I alternate pick without thinking about it. Maybe I am making to much out of it but I just wanted to make sure I was not making some kind of fatal mistake in my technique that might bite me in the rear end as I advance.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2007 12:29 am
If ya feel it's easier doing economy picking then feel free to use it.
Best bet is to practice it both ways.
In fact, if you really want to expand your practice, try doing alternate picking in reverse as well. ie, change all the downstrokes to upstrokes.
# 5
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
03/05/2007 4:17 am
No need to panic.

Don't get yourself all worked up over this. Do whatever feels good for you. The lessons that have seen is just a guide.

THERE ARE NO RULES! No one plays alike. One technique works good for one person and not for the other.

Just play what you enjoy and what makes you feel comfortable. Try as many techniques if you can. I think when you become more advanced, if you have a bad habit, it would be easy to change! cos you're advanced. I think anyone can change if you're already an advanced player, cos of experience.

Am I talking rubbish here? :p

Keep up the practice
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 6
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
03/05/2007 4:19 am
And another thing, find YOUR technique.

I never ever listened to anyone cos I'm a stubborn m!@#er f$#@!r :D

I just tried to find what works for me. And it worked. :)
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 7
IbanezRG770
IbanezRG770
03/05/2007 1:42 pm
Originally Posted by: maestro shazNo need to panic.

Don't get yourself all worked up over this. Do whatever feels good for you. The lessons that have seen is just a guide.

THERE ARE NO RULES! No one plays alike. One technique works good for one person and not for the other.

Just play what you enjoy and what makes you feel comfortable. Try as many techniques if you can. I think when you become more advanced, if you have a bad habit, it would be easy to change! cos you're advanced. I think anyone can change if you're already an advanced player, cos of experience.

Am I talking rubbish here? :p

Keep up the practice

Thanks....I am putting in alot of practice time and just got freaked out about spending all that time doing it wrong. Thanks again for the responses.
# 8
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/05/2007 8:03 pm
basically if your that good at econimy picking and it is your natural reaction to play something with it and you dont go out of time. just econimy pick everything. unless you want to just practice some finger dexterity. this will help your co-ordination and such like.
# 9
IbanezRG770
IbanezRG770
03/06/2007 12:48 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderbasically if your that good at econimy picking and it is your natural reaction to play something with it and you dont go out of time. just econimy pick everything. unless you want to just practice some finger dexterity. this will help your co-ordination and such like.

Thanks for the responses. Atleast now I know there is not a specific reason as to why one method is better than the other. Just wanted to make sure. It was one of those things that kept me wondering and no one seemed to have an answer. And I guess thats because there is no right or wrong when it comes down to it. Thanks again. I can keep practicing now without worrying about it.
# 10
Drew77
Drew77
03/08/2007 1:20 am
I've wondered about this too.

I got the JP video off google video and in it he addresses both ways. His explanation for it is that it yo should be able to do both well so that in any situation you will be able to pick it. I think this too, however I play most naturally with out strict alternate picking either. I don't see a reason for it. BUT to warm up my right hand I do strict alternate picking exercises, especially with string skipping, this has helped a lot in picking accuracy and the speed at which I can move my pick around.

SO practice both, play what feels natural. Thats what I would say.
# 11
damaged
damaged
03/09/2007 1:00 am
It's realy upto you, What ever feels more comfortable.
But my suggestion would be Practice strict alt picking for a while then start practicing Eco picking. Eco picking only works on odd number notes per string to do gown and even number to go up so it limits you, but alt picking you can change the string on any note either up or down a string. Hopfully that made sence :s
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 12
ren
ren
03/10/2007 1:37 pm
I alternate pick everything unless I'm sweeping across strings with hammers/pulls. I learned to economy pick, and I teach other people runs that you can economy pick - as someone else has said you have to plan far more to make sure you have the right number of notes per string to keep the pick moving in the same direction.

I alternate pick everything because that way I can keep the rhythm even without thinking about it...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.