View post (Strict Alternate picking versus Economy picking)

View thread

IbanezRG770
IbanezRG770
03/04/2007 6:56 pm
I have been playing about a year and have adhered to strict alternate/Economy picking. But lately I have noticed that some of the instructions I see want me to alternate pick when economy would be the obvious choice. For instance say you are going from E to A to D. I would normally do this in a sweep picking style. All downstrokes. Then continue with Alternate picking when it applies. But I have seen several instructions where they want you to hop over the string and pick upward to continue in the strict alternate fashion when you still need to go downward after that string. My Question is Why? This seems like such a wasted movement and a slower way to play. I have heard someone say it gives a more percussive sound. So I tried it both ways and can hear no difference. The reason I am even worried about this is because I do not want to find out at a more advanced stage that I am limited in my abilities because of this. Plus If I have to train myself to do it that way I want to know now while it still might be possible to get rid of any bad habits. Any answers are appreciated.
Thanks!