Slide Guitar Alt tunings

emory
emory
09/25/2001 2:35 pm
HI,
I've been playing solos for years. But, I've decided that I really need to master the slide guitar to be happy, and try to move to the next level. Does anybody know what the alternate tunings for Slide Guitar are?? I.e how to tune for slid if the song is in the key of G, E, A, etc, etc. I have learned to slidethe "hard way", but really am looking forward to the easy way, and a more "care free" slide techinque. I.e. George Througgood style.

Thanks in advance!

Emory
# 1
jarviss
jarviss
09/28/2001 5:48 am
open G tuning D-G-D-G-B-D
open A tuning E-A-E-A-C#-E
open D tuning D-A-D-F#-A-D
open E tuning E-B-E-Ab-B-E

to go to open G
start in standard
tune the 1st & 6th (e's) DOWN to D
drop the 5th string (a) down to G
(sometimes people want to go up?)
and break a string...
a good rule when tuning down is to tune PAST
the note..and then go up...it just keeps the string
in tension and helps stay in tune more
good luck
post some audio of some slide guitar when
you get comfortable
-G

yo
# 2
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/28/2001 9:43 am
Here are some tunings that i like to use (jarvis may have pointed some of these out alreadly)
From the thinest to thickest string (righty strung, that way there's no confusion)
1) D B G B G D
2) D A F#D A D
3) D A G F A D
4) D C G D G D
5) E B G D A E
6) D B G D A E
7) E C# A C# A E
8) D B G D B G
9) E C F C G C
I'm assuming you know how to tune to these notes, you just want to know different tunings.
Some of these sound really cool, the problem is you'll find you'r self doing through alot of strings :(....
I'd recommend you learn about scales, and how you make chords from them (if you dont already know), that way you can make up your own tunings...
I hope this helps, if it doesnt go too well staight away try it again cos i think that slide is a fantasic part of playing guitar which isn't really lokked at much in anything out side counrty.
it sounds really cool with a swell pedal and a delay pedal :D. oh yeah with wah as well...
Have fun.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.