Finally

guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
02/26/2007 5:21 am
So, Martin Scorsese won an oscar. It's about damn time. Also glad that the departed won best picture, little miss sunshine was also good though. This is seriously the best oscars that I can remember. I usually dislike most of the movies that are nominated, but this year was great.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/26/2007 5:32 am
I was hoping that girl from "Little Miss Sunshine" would win for whatever she was up for (Best Supporting Actress?). She's probably the only child actor I've ever seen that I haven't found unbelievably annoying.

I was also hoping Peter O'Toole would win Best Actor, just on principle. He looked like he was going to drop at any minute, and I figure he deserved it.

I can't believe I actually watched the entire Oscars. God help me.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
02/26/2007 2:59 pm
I managed to flip to it everynow and then throughout the night... Nothing really came as a surprise to me. Which is rare, normally there are 1 or 2 movies that get 2 or 3 Oscars that shouldn't even of been nominated. Like you said, this years seemed to be much more consistantly good with who won. In my opinion, there were multiple categories that could have went to any one of the nominees and I would have been happy... Even though I don't really care unless someone undeserving wins an Oscar... Same way with the Grammy's.
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/26/2007 4:44 pm
Who knew Eastwood's Italian was so good. Must be from all those spaghetti westerns in the 60's!
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
02/26/2007 10:43 pm
They get paid a fortune to make those movies. Do we need to watch as they are rewarded for it? I just don't get all those award shows. How many of you excel at your job? Did you get paid a million or better for the work you did in the past 6 months? Was there an award ceremony to congratulate you for the work you did? Probably not.
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/27/2007 4:29 am
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickThey get paid a fortune to make those movies. Do we need to watch as they are rewarded for it? I just don't get all those award shows. How many of you excel at your job? Did you get paid a million or better for the work you did in the past 6 months? Was there an award ceremony to congratulate you for the work you did? Probably not.

That's why I quit the turkey farm. It was getting way too commercial.
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
02/28/2007 3:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Bar Chord NickThey get paid a fortune to make those movies. Do we need to watch as they are rewarded for it? I just don't get all those award shows. How many of you excel at your job? Did you get paid a million or better for the work you did in the past 6 months? Was there an award ceremony to congratulate you for the work you did? Probably not.

Yeah, but one could argue that acting... just as music... is an artform and movies are the the songs of acting. It's more or less just a way for the "Academy" to say "Hey general public, this is what a good movie is."

To me, I don't really care whether they say it's a "good movie" or not... All in all though, I believe the Oscars to be much more true to the film industry than, say... the Grammy's. Awarding low budget films like "Little Miss Sunshine", I think, is the awesome!

As for the Grammy's... When the Dixie Chicks win the most Grammy's, you know your music award show is ridiculous. The Grammy's are the worst because it is all about commercialization. Who had their songs played on the radio the most. Who put out the most singles. Blah Blah Blah. It's not even about the music. I can't see why the Dixie Chicks should be given an award for "Album of the Year" when they don't write their lyrics, don't write the music, and don't play instruments..... I think the one chick plays everynow and then..... but still... Take away the people that write their songs and they're just another church choir standout. THAT'S what's wrong with music. I understand that there aren't a whole lot of country singers that write their own songs... There should be a different category for albums that are collections of a bunch of different songwriters. You can't compare an album written by 50 people to an album written by 1 or 2 people.

The Dixie Chicks??? Come on..... please.
# 7
jt419oh
jt419oh
02/28/2007 7:22 pm
Since when did the dixie chicks not play thier own instruments? This is new to me. They are some bad assed musicians.

[EDIT]
Well natlie just strums mostly but the two sis's are badass.
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
03/01/2007 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: jt419ohSince when did the dixie chicks not play thier own instruments? This is new to me. They are some bad assed musicians.

[EDIT]
Well natlie just strums mostly but the two sis's are badass.

I meant mostly in the writing process. I've seen them play once live so I was aware that they do play occasionally. One plays the violin or something doesn't she?? But anyway... I was speaking more in terms of writing the music.
# 9
jt419oh
jt419oh
03/01/2007 1:05 am
O.K. cool. Yeah they don't write much of thier own music. Most country artists don't. But yeah the one plays fiddle and the other plays dobro and banjo.They both started when they were wee little. Ran in the family.
# 10
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/01/2007 2:47 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckThat's why I quit the turkey farm. It was getting way too commercial.

Just because you weren't nominated...
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.