Inverted Chords.. what is this?

Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/25/2001 12:10 pm
can anyone please explain me what an inverted chord is??
and where i can use such a thing?
thanks
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 1
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/25/2001 12:13 pm
actualy now i notice i put it on the wrong forum, but i have a technique question as well:
sometimes a guitar player holds the same note for a good few seconds, without picking it again, and it just sounds for a quite long time, without vibrato or anything like that
so how do i do this??
(for example in gary srv's love me darlin, somewher in the beggining of the song)

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 2
Hootayah
Hootayah
09/25/2001 12:52 pm
Use a compressor setting with a short attack and long sustain. As the volume of the chord reduces, the compressor increases the volume to compensate.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
09/25/2001 11:48 pm
two answers
an inverted chord is a chord which has another note than the root as the lowest note... Take a D major, played at the second fret if you let the fourth string vibrate and be the lowest, you have a d major. If you play an F#, 6 string second fret, and let it be the root, you now have an inverted chord, where the notes have been inverted from their original order.
As for the second answer, the long note you say is controlled feedback which you need to have volume and distortion to get. Sometimes, we make the guitar strings vibrate by facing the amp. This is the same principle, except this time, the note stays the same, and doesn't go in an harmonic one octave or a fifth higher, you might want to hear gary moore blues alive on parisienne walkways for a 20 seconds hold!!!
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/26/2001 3:57 am

Here is the classic "music theory" definition of an inverted chord:

For a C chord you have the following notes -

1 - C
3 - E
5 - G

So normally, a C chord goes C, E, G, starting on the 1st tone. If it starts on E, and goes E, G, C, you have a first inversion C triad. If it starts on G, for G, C, E, then you have a second inversion. This is acutually all pretty useless knowledge unless you're reading music or playing the piano, in which case, it becomes critical.

For the guitar, most of the chords that you'll play will be inversions inversions anyway. So for the second part of your question, that's where you would use such a thing . . . playing the good ol' guitar. But unless you're planning on learning another instrument or getting deep into music theory, you shouldn't have to worry about any of this too much.

Later.
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/26/2001 1:11 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
As for the second answer, the long note you say is controlled feedback which you need to have volume and distortion to get. Sometimes, we make the guitar strings vibrate by facing the amp. This is the same principle, except this time, the note stays the same, and doesn't go in an harmonic one octave or a fifth higher, you might want to hear gary moore blues alive on parisienne walkways for a 20 seconds hold!!!

yeah i know this one...realy cool thing
thanks for all the people who replied this post

christoph how do you know all this theory stuff??
i noticed you answer almost every theory question on this board, so how do you know all those things?
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/26/2001 5:27 pm

Well, I had a really good guitar teacher. He taught me all the basics of theory, and then I filled in most of the holes learning to read music and play keyboard.
# 7
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/27/2001 3:53 am
if you want to make the note ring forever buy yourself an E-bow, it's an electric magnet you hold over the pickup
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.