Triad question

donf
donf
02/23/2007 3:22 pm
I understand that 3 notes can make up a triad, but (I know this is dumb) are they like this....eg

C-E-G
D-F-A
E-A-C
F-A-C
G-B-D
A-D-E
B-E-G

or are they

C-E-G
D-F#-A
E-Ab-B
F-A-C
G-B-D
A-Db-E
B-Eb-F#

I'm a little confused on what the triad is being based on. If I were to base it on the key of 'C', then, no #'s or b's would be present.
Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
02/23/2007 3:43 pm
The triad chord is based on the 1,3,5 of the corresponding scale.

Look at the key signatures of the #1 note and sharpen or flatten accordingly.

This of course is assuming major chords only. To arrive at minors and such you need to flat the 3rd after seeing the major chord choice.
# 2
donf
donf
02/23/2007 3:48 pm
Originally Posted by: da_ardvarkThe triad chord is based on the 1,3,5 of the corresponding scale.

Look at the key signatures of the #1 note and sharpen or flatten accordingly.

So, the 2nd group I typed would be the correct triad if I were in that key. I'm trying not to be confusing, but, if I were to play in the key of 'A', then the 3 notes that make it a major triad would be...A-Db(C#)-E, and the minor triad for that key would be A-C-E.

I think :rolleyes:
# 3
ren
ren
02/23/2007 3:57 pm
Yes... that's right.... :cool:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
donf
donf
02/23/2007 4:07 pm
Originally Posted by: renYes... that's right.... :cool:

Ok, its coming together here.......... :p :D
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
02/23/2007 4:15 pm
major: R - 3 - 5
minor: R - b3 - 5
augmented: R - 3 - #5
diminished: R - b3 - b5

R being the root... and the 3 and 5 correspond to the 3rd and 5th notes of the respective notes in that key...

Then if you want to further that... you can add the 7th.

Major 7: R-3-5-7
Dominant 7: R-3-5-b7

Minor/Major 7: R-b3-5-7
Minor 7: R-b3-5-b7

Half Diminished 7: R-b3-b5-b7
Diminished 7: R-b3-b5-6 (bb7)

Augmented 7: R-3-5#-7

Pretty easy and good stuff!!
# 6
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/24/2007 6:19 am
Originally Posted by: donfI understand that 3 notes can make up a triad, but (I know this is dumb) are they like this....eg
C-E-G
D-F-A
E-A-C *******
F-A-C
G-B-D
A-D-E*******
B-E-G*******
or are they
C-E-G
D-F#-A
E-Ab-B
F-A-C
G-B-D
A-Db-E
B-Eb-F#

I'm a little confused on what the triad is being based on. If I were to base it on the key of 'C', then, no #'s or b's would be present.

I like your Idea Here. Your first list (other than marked ****** Just needs a little fixin up with the correct notes) are the triads necessary for the Key of C Major. You are correct, no #'s or b's in C Major. Let's Fix the *** triads and you will notice a pattern that works for every Key.
Triad and Chord name:

C-----E-----G = C Major
D-----F-----A = D minor
E-----G-----B = E minor
F-----A-----C = F Major
G-----B-----D = G Major
A-----C-----E = A minor
B-----D-----F = B minor/flat 5

Look down each row vertically starting with the first row (Root) of each triad. Notice how they are in perfect order. Now check the second row (3rd for Major chords, b3rd for minor chords) then the third row (5th and one b5th). They are also in perfect order and match the Key of C Major.
When figuring the triads for a particular Key that has #'s for instance, It will also follow that perfect order, as would one with b's. (A Key will either be all # notes or all b notes, never combined).
The Key of G has one # note in it, the F#. The F# is the same note as the Gb (Eharmonic equivalent), but using Gb instead of F# would screw up that perfect order as would any note out of place.

G-----B-----D
A-----C-----E
B-----D-----F#
C-----E-----G
D-----F#-- -A
E-----G-----B
F#----A----C

The second list you have in your post are Major triads for each independant note, that's why they don't fit in the key of C, even though they are the same root notes from the key of C.
Again, when listing a Chord formula, It's best to follow the order of the notes as they are used, example; E-G#-B and another A-C#-E and another Ab-C-Eb
That way they will also follow that perfect order.
# 7

02/24/2007 1:49 pm
Hi donf,

you might want to also look at this lesson about chord construction by Tim Dutton.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7643
# 8
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/24/2007 4:45 pm
To put it simply , there are 2 triads that can be built on chord forms , major 1-3-5, and minor 1-b3-5. The 7th s 9ths ect .. require additional notes
# 9
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/25/2007 3:20 pm
i stand corrected, augmented-1-3-#5, and diminished 1-b3-b5, the sus chords are not listed in my refrence material
# 10
donf
donf
02/26/2007 3:14 pm
Thanks all for the inputs. You guys jump right on it when someone needs assistance......that pretty cool

I'll take a look at the lesson here. Since I'm trying to get back into playing, I want also try to add music theory within my practice time, instead of just aimlessly learning songs :rolleyes: .
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
02/26/2007 3:51 pm
Originally Posted by: donfThanks all for the inputs. You guys jump right on it when someone needs assistance......that pretty cool

I'll take a look at the lesson here. Since I'm trying to get back into playing, I want also try to add music theory within my practice time, instead of just aimlessly learning songs :rolleyes: .

Yeah man, work on building chords based on the triads as much as possible. It's an INVALUABLE jamming skill to be able to build chords on the go. It's one of the hardest things to master but once you get use to the notes on the fretboard it becomes drastically easier to recall triad chords and build off of them by adding the 7th and 9th's and diminishing and augmenting, and suspending... It's all pretty easy to grasp... it's just harder to apply it. Concentrate on the application of all of it. A lot people can talk for days about theory but never apply it to their playing... For example, I know a bit here and there about theory but I don't apply half of it to my playing... It's not really my style to go on big modal runs and all that... That's one area that I wish I was improved... So practice practice practice and it'll get easier and easier and easier!!!

And you'll get use to the willingness of everyone around here helping out. It's one of the best things about this forum that you won't find anywhere else!
# 12
donf
donf
02/26/2007 8:43 pm
Theres a lot of resources here on the board and I'm looking thru them including those recommended to me by other board members. Nice site. Lots of info. ;)
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.