View post (The best way...)

View thread

ren
ren
02/21/2007 10:01 am
When I teach, I'll show students scales / chords / whatever it is but then at the end demonstrate an application of whatever we've done that lesson. So if I taught someone the open chords, I would end the lesson with showing them 'leaving on a jet plane' or something - simple, but it shows the student why I'm telling them all this stuff, and helps them memorise it.

Finding the tab for songs you love will hopefully give you the inspiration to learn more than just where your fingers go. You don't need to understand it all, but I'm pretty happy that I understand most of it. When I started it was all classical, so none of it was really any fun... :eek:

I don't generally teach other people's songs - mostly because I don't have the time to learn them myself....

I really believe that a good grasp of theory and an understanding of why you're putting your fingers where you are makes it easier to learn, and you'll make faster progress... As the others say, balance is the thing...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com