The best way...

Vendetta.
Vendetta.
02/21/2007 3:25 am
What's the best way of teaching youself guitar? Is it to learn all the chords and practice scales first, or go on some tab site (ultimate-guitar.com) and play songs. Right now, I don't see the point in learning the chords, to be honest, if you use mainly tabs for songs when your good, and I can't find any songs with chords to help me memorize them (the chords).

Help! :eek:

-R
"And if you want it bad, don't ever let it slip away..."

Guitar nublet.
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/21/2007 6:16 am
I'm afraid there's no easy answer here. You might get dozens of different answers on how to approach it, but what I think the one thing everyone will agree is absolutely necessary...is to have fun. You could learn chords and scales all day, but if you're not having any fun, you won't stick with it, especially in the beginning. I'm not saying ignore the framework of theory, but at least have a healthy balance.
That being said, I personally suggest you do at least learn the major and minor chord shapes. And sure, songs can be a great way to master these shapes quickly (and have fun at the same time). Listening to music, you should be able to tell approximately how difficult it sounds and if you could try it. Tom Petty for example commonly uses easy chords, yet to great effect.
I took lessons not long after starting myself. My instructor first had me learn the major scale and circled the most used and movable chord shapes in my chord book. However at the end of the lesson every week, he had me bring in a song of my choice to learn. I definitely looked forward to that part of the lesson.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/21/2007 6:34 am
I'm self taught and when I first started, I only looked to tabs. But when I got more serious and got an acoustic, I learned chords and finger picking teqniques. I agree with Rusty, finding a balance between learning riffs and chords/scales is the way to go. Good Riddance by Green Day is probably one of the best songs to get you started with chords and switching between them and with strumming and flat picking as well. Also, check out the Malageuna too, good melody to get your finger picking started.

Here's tabs for both:

Good Riddance

Malaguena
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
ren
ren
02/21/2007 10:01 am
When I teach, I'll show students scales / chords / whatever it is but then at the end demonstrate an application of whatever we've done that lesson. So if I taught someone the open chords, I would end the lesson with showing them 'leaving on a jet plane' or something - simple, but it shows the student why I'm telling them all this stuff, and helps them memorise it.

Finding the tab for songs you love will hopefully give you the inspiration to learn more than just where your fingers go. You don't need to understand it all, but I'm pretty happy that I understand most of it. When I started it was all classical, so none of it was really any fun... :eek:

I don't generally teach other people's songs - mostly because I don't have the time to learn them myself....

I really believe that a good grasp of theory and an understanding of why you're putting your fingers where you are makes it easier to learn, and you'll make faster progress... As the others say, balance is the thing...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/21/2007 8:35 pm
I am fairly new to guitar but I try to incorporate songs with my lessons. (after all thats why im learning guitar.. to play songs). Last night for instance I made up my mind I was going to get the F down ( or try to at least). I found 2 songs with the F I really liked and tried to learn them. Worked well for me.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 5
Vendetta.
Vendetta.
02/22/2007 12:27 am
Thanks guys, I'll try to start my practice w/ a scale, then practice some chords/strumming method/other technical stuff, then end with a song.

Thanks for Good Riddance by Greenday, I love that song. I've been working on Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison too, but the rythem guitar is so hard to hear in that song that I can't get the strumming pattern down.

Guitar nublet.
# 6
pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
02/22/2007 4:26 pm
Well, just remeber that you can ALWAYS getter better. I find a good way to continously improve is to constantly set goals for yourself, such as planning what you want to get done for the day, such as finish learning a song, or mastering a technique. No one, and I mean no one, can teach you how to play. It's up to your interests and personal studies that makes you good guitarist. Just try to learn something everyday, get a little better every day, play when ever you can, and after a while, that sort of accumulates, then one day you'll find yourself to be a fantastic guitarist. Just remember to look at with a positive attitude, as a hobby instead of a life-consuming activity. Oh, and make sure you have fun with, too.

Cheers.
# 7
Vendetta.
Vendetta.
02/22/2007 11:52 pm
Ya I've seen that discussion, its a good one. Thanks

Guitar nublet.
# 8
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/23/2007 11:09 am
as far as scales go, i would suggest learning the pentatonic scale first and formost it is the basis for much rock you have ever heard once that is learned then it makes a good refrence point to get other scales and modes
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.