Sweep to Tapping

Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/20/2007 1:35 am
Is there a special name for the technique where a guitarist does a sweep immediately followed by tapping. Do you know what I mean?

Not only is it a visually stunning technique, but it is also well-received by the ears. To smoothly sweep through an arpeggiated chord, then to tap it across several octaves all at a breakneck pace boggles the senses.

I'm not the greatest at either technique, so I'd imagine trying to combine the two would make me exponentially worse. How do they fold the pick in so fast after the sweep? I think it's time I devise a game plan and cease my random noodlings.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/20/2007 2:46 am
Is this what you mean : http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9815

To go from fast sweeping to tapping, or any fast playing to tapping, you should use your middle finger to tap (assuming you use only your thumb and index to hold the pick.) I haven't been able to get sweep taps down, but going from fast scales to tapping is pretty simple once you get the hang of using your middle finger (aka build a callus.)
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/20/2007 3:29 am
In essence, that's what I was referring to. The taps on your example were more simple than what I was referring to in my first post.

You can see Oziel doing it on Youtube around the 1:31 mark. Even this isn't the best example.

I love the sonic texture combining these two techniques creates.
My YouTube Profile
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/20/2007 3:49 am
Yea, my example was only 1 tap and Oziel's was a couple double taps. Oziel used his middle finger to tap as the pick was naturally lifted out of the way. I had my guitar in front of me when I typed both these posts and I just tried the sweep taps and did double tapping (after a simple 5 string arp) like Oziel did, I did ok untill the way back down. I do pretty well with tapping and my sweeping is getting there, just a matter of practice and persistance. When I first tried sweeping, I was like, this sounds like crap, but I kept playin the arp until I slowly built up speed (which took a good month), then as I got faster it was like ear candy.

But yea, I love sweep taps too (which I geuss is the right term,) It adds alot to an already great sounding arp... as long as Herman Li isn't playing. :p
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/20/2007 6:20 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccear candy.[/QUOTE]
You should trademark that term! :D

[QUOTE=elklandercc]ear candy.
But yea, I love sweep taps too (which I geuss is the right term,) It adds alot to an already great sounding arp... as long as Herman Li isn't playing. :p

Sweep taps sounds like another good term, and Herman Li does go overboard alot. You've seen the video with his enhancement pedal right? It's priceless! :cool:
My YouTube Profile
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/20/2007 6:51 am
Here's a nice video.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
ren
ren
02/20/2007 9:58 am
The hardest thing about sweep tapping in my opinion is getting your fretting hand in the right place at speed - you have to sweep the arp diagonally across the strings so you're ready to tap, tap the right notes, and then sweep back down again diagonally in reverse.

I personally found getting back down again to be the tricky bit. For practice, sweep any 5 string minor arpeggio, and to start with just tap a third on top of it and come back down. Then you can move to double tapping or tapping more than one note once you've got the bones of the technique down.

And on Oziel - I think I like 'Isabella' the best... cool melody and not too tricky until later in the piece. The sweep tapping he does isn't actually that involved, but the speed makes it sound very difficult...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/20/2007 2:23 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggHere's a nice video.

That was sweet! I'm gonna go to that website listed and get the tab for it, gonna have to check out his other lessons too.

As for LI (and Totman) I think they go a little overboard with their tradmark tapping (when they have their index closest to the bridge) and after the million times they've done it, you'd think they'd get it right by now.

Now, make sure you tell all your friends Herman Ree is cool, or I'll **** on your head.

Myspace
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.