Advice on starting a band, giging etc...

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/24/2001 9:23 am
I'm looking for advice on putting a band toghether. this is roughly what i'm after:
Drummer: must be able to play a jazzy style, hiphop, and the fast "NOFX" style.
Bassist: must able to think on his feet, *immitates mr T* i don't want no fool who just plays root noots.
Maybe a keyboard player, and another guitarist.

Is this too tall an order? How about booking your fist gig? fueds/ arguments?
What do you think?
PS i'm really after putting a band together for fun, and writting some stuff while we're at it.
# 1
Hootayah
Hootayah
09/24/2001 11:53 am
Just do it and hope for the best.
Post an ad in your local music store or ask the guys there if they know of anybody.
Then hold auditions. After you find the people you're looking for it's kind of a subtle mind game as you're learning material etc. You'll be able to tell as you get to know them whether they're just dead weight or really contributing.
If you wanna write your own material, start straight away or you just might discover after spending a year learning cover tunes that nobody in the band has any writing talent. Learn material that's suited to the types of venues you want to play in. (ie, no point in learning metalica then playing in a trailer park town where the locals all love Bob Seger) Before you book your first gig, practice the material in sequence, including breaks etc.. learn what order you're doing the songs in so you aren't discussing that on stage, and time everything so you have three 45 minute sets and an encore. Don't forget to include slow tunes in each set.
As far as getting bookings... hire somebody who knows what they're doing and get a signed contract.
Don't ever take the word of a bar manager.
One trick they like to pull is telling you they'll pay you X number of dollars per night... then at the end of the weekend they say "no you must have misunderstood...I said X number of dollars for the whole weekend".
Oh yeah... and have fun ;)

Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 2
hendrixintraining
hendrixintraining
09/24/2001 4:50 pm
The way i did is i just asked some friends if they wanted to start a band even before we could play, then we just built from there, it's been about a year i guess we made improvements. But one things i have found is some of your friends may not be a passionate about "the dream" as you are, and other friends might be hell-bent on learning all of one band's songs and never mixing up the style. The ones who aren't as passionate you need to get rid of, the ones who are stuck you can change with alot a of effort.
Also, i have found that it takes alot of courage for people to sing with a band, even in front of friends, so find someone with enough fortitude scream at strangers. But have fun on the way
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.