A very tough decision to make...

Krunek
Krunek
02/13/2007 10:46 am
Hey, people.I am considering this one option...I believe that at least you american guys have heard of the company called KBR.It is a company that does logistics for american army...well, they are recruting new people in Croatia...and they are promising rather high incomes, at least in Croatia, that is a lot...minimum $5500 per month...Only condition is, you have to know english well, which I can fulfill...But, a place of work is Iraq...Soooooooo...
Dunno.I am thinking "bout trying it out.
Ouestions?Comments?Advices?
# 1
ren
ren
02/13/2007 11:18 am
I wouldn't. I still do a bit of IT consultancy, and was offered a job in Iraq a few months back paying serious money.

I decided I was entirely too white and western to survive in that environment.

There is a reason that work in Iraq is so well paid... maybe if you're connected directly to the military supply chain you'll be better protected? Maybe most or all of the work would be in the green zone? The work I was offered was private sector, and way too risky in my judgement regardless of the pay...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/13/2007 1:58 pm
I conciderd doing the very same thing. With the very same company. Like most things there is good and bad. I know 3 guys who are eather over there or are back and they all say it isent as bad as you would think. Two of them are mechanics and one is a paramedic. I decided not to only after I got the job I have now. If it wasent for that I would be over there making the G's right now. I dont know what you would be going there to do , but I know they where saying 93k a year for my mechanic level. Good luck on trying to make the decision.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 3
Krunek
Krunek
02/14/2007 5:26 am
Originally Posted by: MAVERIC777I conciderd doing the very same thing. With the very same company. Like most things there is good and bad. I know 3 guys who are eather over there or are back and they all say it isent as bad as you would think. Two of them are mechanics and one is a paramedic. I decided not to only after I got the job I have now. If it wasent for that I would be over there making the G's right now. I dont know what you would be going there to do , but I know they where saying 93k a year for my mechanic level. Good luck on trying to make the decision.

Oh, goodie.You know some things then...Well, actually, I am not sure what i would be doing there.IF I was to apply, I was thinking about appling to all of the jobs required.Maybe a driver.Yeah, yeah, I know...But it pays much better.The thing that interests me, is how long do you sign the contract for?Is it possible to go there on just a few months?Say, 6-7?That would pretty much do it for me.
# 4
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/14/2007 5:47 am
it only takes a 1/2 second to get your arms blown off.....so much for guitar.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 5
Krunek
Krunek
02/14/2007 6:21 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpit only takes a 1/2 second to get your arms blown off.....so much for guitar.

Or jacking off, for that matter... ;) Yeah, i know.I am aware of the risk and possible consequences...But...Huh, I would so very much like a house... (and maybe a SRV strat, somewhere along the way, hehe)...My pay here is about
5000 KN. 1 ā‚¬=7,5 KN. 1$=5,5 KN.Give or take.A square metre of living space (apartment, house) is about 1500 ā‚¬, give or take. 1 square metre is about 10.764 square foot...And i am considered wery well paid, above average here.Need I say any more?
# 6
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
02/14/2007 9:10 am
hmm...i think u shud go for it...im pretty sure it shud be fine...it shud be good experience as well...ill be darned happy to go there thinking of all the photographs i can take...but thats my opinion.. :)
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 7
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
02/14/2007 5:25 pm
Not worth the risk. I was in Saudi Arabia for 4 months 10 years ago when things were no where NEAR as "elevated" as they are now and we couldn't leave the base. It was miserable and we were hated by 25-40% of the country (think about that for a sec) and that's in SAUDI. I've had offers of over $200K TAX FREE money along with a Mercedes SUV and a house for free to work over in Iraq on an Air Force base with a month's paid vacation every summer, and 15 paid days off in country every year. Wouldn't touch it. Not worth it. Waaay too hot over there right now.
# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/14/2007 6:44 pm
I say do it. You only live once and opportunity hardly ever knocks twice.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Krunek
Krunek
02/16/2007 5:23 am
Darn.I went to the site dozens of times in the past few days and the form where you can apply can not be opened.Darn.Dunno why.Think they are having some kind of problems with the server.Could be they are besieged by applications?Hm....I sent an e-mail to FAQ, and received an automaticly generated message saying they are in a jam at the moment...Hmmm...
Don"t suppose any of you american guys could do me a favour and try to access it from your computers??Maybe the problem is here in Europe...
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/16/2007 5:35 am
Originally Posted by: KrunekHey, people.I am considering this one option...I believe that at least you american guys have heard of the company called KBR.It is a company that does logistics for american army...well, they are recruting new people in Croatia...and they are promising rather high incomes, at least in Croatia, that is a lot...minimum $5500 per month...Only condition is, you have to know english well, which I can fulfill...But, a place of work is Iraq...Soooooooo...
Dunno.I am thinking "bout trying it out.
Ouestions?Comments?Advices?

Well, whatever ya do... make sure you investigate the hell outa this company and be sure everything's legit.

Also, is it really 5500 per month or is that minus expenses? (travel, clothing, housing, food etc..)
I've had friends tell me of high paying jobs in far-to-reach places and all the money they were promised went for living expenses and wasting it on drugs, booze & gambling.
# 11
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/16/2007 5:53 am
KBR is Kellog, Brown and Root....subsidiary of Haliburton. Cheney. They have a non-bidded on contract with the USA. and they suck.
# 12
Krunek
Krunek
02/16/2007 6:10 am
Dunno about the expenses stuff.If I apply, and I probably will, I will find out all of that stuff when I will go to interview.Z?Suck in what term?Financially?Or?Could you be a bit more specific, please?Heh, schmange, lucky I don"t do drugs... ;) As for the drinking part, when I was in high school and totally broke, we used to mix medical alcohol with water and powder sugar...Does the job reeeeeeealy fine.Hehe.Nyhowz, if any og you guys have any more detailed info on the firm itself, or the job, I"d love to hear it.Please?And where the hell is that Maverick when a guy needs him?I would really like to know what is the minimun of time you have to be working for them...If it one year or higher...Than I would"t go...
# 13
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
02/16/2007 7:49 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpKBR is Kellog, Brown and Root....subsidiary of Haliburton. Cheney. They have a non-bidded on contract with the USA. and they suck.

KBR and other government contractors are typically corrupt in some way or another. These companies often have high ranking officials with some government connections and often benefit finacially from the contacts that are given to them. They are war profiteers. Same with Haliburton and Bechtel.
# 14
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/16/2007 7:50 am
Originally Posted by: KrunekDunno about the expenses stuff.If I apply, and I probably will, I will find out all of that stuff when I will go to interview.Z?Suck in what term?Financially?Or?Could you be a bit more specific, please?Heh, schmange, lucky I don"t do drugs... ;) As for the drinking part, when I was in high school and totally broke, we used to mix medical alcohol with water and powder sugar...Does the job reeeeeeealy fine.Hehe.Nyhowz, if any og you guys have any more detailed info on the firm itself, or the job, I"d love to hear it.Please?And where the hell is that Maverick when a guy needs him?I would really like to know what is the minimun of time you have to be working for them...If it one year or higher...Than I would"t go...

i don't mean they won't pay ya...they suck for the job they are to do. mishandling taxpayer money. wasting billions. not doing the job. you will get paid i'm sure.
# 15
Krunek
Krunek
02/16/2007 8:06 am
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709KBR and other government contractors are typically corrupt in some way or another. These companies often have high ranking officials with some government connections and often benefit finacially from the contacts that are given to them. They are war profiteers. Same with Haliburton and Bechtel.

Quite sincere, I don"t give a flying f*** about that...We had war in our country some 12 years ago, and the same thing was happening here...can"t do much to change that.Actually, can"t do anything.Soooo...As long as they pay me my money, I am quite content.
# 16
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
02/16/2007 2:30 pm
I can't see me wanting to go there either. I mean even if the money was great, what if you were injured there? What kind of care would you get? And would having a few extra K when I got home be worth the risk?
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 17
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/16/2007 6:00 pm
I might be willing to move to Baghdad, but only because my twin brother in the army is deployed there. I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Iraq farther than anywhere clearly visible by a military base.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 18
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
02/16/2007 6:51 pm
Originally Posted by: KrunekQuite sincere, I don"t give a flying f*** about that...We had war in our country some 12 years ago, and the same thing was happening here...can"t do much to change that.Actually, can"t do anything.Soooo...As long as they pay me my money, I am quite content.

well thats cool if you don't care about that...you asked for details about the firm, so i felt compelled to share that. Like Zoso_jp said, they mishandle taxpayers' money (clearly not urs), waste billions of dollars, and don't complete the jobs as they are contracted to. Theyre screwing everyone else, so why wouldn't they try to screw their employees? Who knows? Maybe not. All I'm saying, is that I would be suspicious about working for such a corrupt corporation in a country that is already full of corruption.
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.