Irony

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/12/2007 5:21 am
So I'm just screwin around on the computer at the moment and I go to Yahoo.com. One headline in Yahoo News is an area in NY has got 11 feet of snow and is setting a record. Goes on to talk about bitter cold and what not. Then you scroll down and it talks about Tokyo have a record setting snowless winter. Apparently global warming is to blame for this.

I don't know about this stuff...The other day Yahoo had a link that said global warming is irreversible.

My bio professor also told me that global warming will result in higher high temps and lower lows. Am I missing something, or is that not equilibrium?

Not trying to stir the pot here, as I do believe that we are at least partially responsible. Its no secret we pollute too much. But these doom and gloom theories...Sounds like political propaganda to me.

Oh well.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/12/2007 5:29 am
My friends dad went up to NY this past weekend and he told me that the city right above where he stayed got 100" of snow, I was like no way, thats like 6'. I geuss he was right. Its suppose to snow a lot tomorrow and tues here. I swear to God, it better be all (a foot or more) or none.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/12/2007 5:42 am
I see you live in Jersey Elk. Them noreasters are stupid. First we're gettin like 1-3 inches. Then like 2 feet. Then the thing blows out to see. They've angered me many a time back in the day hopin for snow days and some good ol' snow mobiling. So I feel your pain.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
polansky
polansky
02/12/2007 5:42 am
But... climate changes can do more than hot and cold, this all aspects of the enviorment and it's a living chain.

My point is... climate is getting pretty weird, down here in Mexico, friday night we had thunderstorm, next mornig blue skies and sun, 11 am same day cold and rainy, then rain and hail, 3 pm sunny and hot, after that 6 pm freezing cold.... WTF... and all winter was sunny (not exactly hot but pretty sunny) no cold winter... so this things can change the natural balance and in some time it can do a lot of things to plants, and then animals and again wheather, and someday is gonna get us.

My theory is that the planet is fighting back... like any living organism, when something is harming you, you do something or your body does it so... why the planet should be any different.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 4
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/12/2007 5:47 am
I guess I see where you're coming from Polansky, and in a sense, I agree with you. You throw off natural balances and things are gonna go haywire. I don't think the planet is necessarily fighting back, but things are being disrupted so its changing. Crazy weather nonetheless.
# 5
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/12/2007 6:38 am
Yep, a lot of it is propoganda, and as such I'm always skeptical of global warming related headlines. The media has totally accepted and promoted gw, usually to the extent of catastrophism. I just don't think the scientists know enough (while they think they know more than they do), while much of the media throw away balance for advocacy. Most predicted a rise in both hurricane #'s and intensity last year, yet it was calmer than ever. To what degree we are responsible or at least contributing, they can't say either. The field of global climatology is relatively in it's infancy. Sadly all this is nothing new...scientists and the media have flip-flopped warming and ice age catastrophe predictions for well over 100 years.
How bout this quote from Newsweek:
“There are ominous signs that the Earth’s weather patterns have begun to change dramatically and that these changes may portend a drastic decline in food production– with serious political implications for just about every nation on Earth.”
Sounds familiar, but that was in 1975 referring to an impending ice age.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/12/2007 6:43 am
Cool stuff Rusty. (I believe thats your name(?)) I'm not about to deny it or accept it totally like some are willing. I think either way is ignorance to the other side, as nothing is factual. At this point, it seems nothing can point one way or the other. So, I guess I'll keep my eyes and ears open and see what other studies start to come out. Til then, I'm gonna have to say I remain a skeptic, and economy/personal welfare of people comes before a questionable theory.
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2007 10:16 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdYep, a lot of it is propoganda,

I'm with you. They keep talking about global warming but nobody ever produces any real hard evidence or backs up where they're getting their facts from.
I take all this stuff with a grain of salt... all you gotta do is remember scientists used to think the earth was flat and that just about proves how much you can rely on their theories.

The weather doesn't look any different to me than it ever has.
In winter it's cold and in summer it's hot.
When it starts snowing in July then maybe I'll change my mind, but until then I just think it's a lot of over reaction and media hype over nothing but normal weather patterns.
# 8
ren
ren
02/12/2007 10:44 am
What I've noticed is that it's taken so little time for 'green' issues to ingrain themselves with people.

All of a sudden now people here are complaining about what they can and can't recycle, are talking about shopping in an 'environmentally responsible' way and trying to make their homes self-sufficient.

I'm not saing it's bad, but it's scary how easy people are to manipulate... I've no idea what's going on, but it can't be a bad to have less of an impact on the world we live in...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
aschleman
aschleman
02/12/2007 2:28 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeall you gotta do is remember scientists used to think the earth was flat and that just about proves how much you can rely on their theories.

Eh... bold generalization about today's scientists. Considering the difference in tehcnology from then to now. Theory is theory. Back then almost everything was theory. I'd like to think we, as a species, have come quite aways from thinking the Earth is flat...

Check out Edward Lorenz's 1972 paper given to the American Association for the Advancement of Science entitled "Predictablity: Does the Flap of a Butterflies Wings in Mexico set off a Tornado in Texas?"... it's based on the theory of chaos.

I believe further in the theory of constant motion. A theory where everything around us is in constant motion, whether we can see it or not. The Earth, as it is... is in an orbit around the Sun. Three theories exist for this situation. 1. The Earth is constantly moving outward due to centrifigal forces which are greater than the gravitational forces of the Sun. 2. The Earth is constantly moving toward the Sun due to the overpowering gravitational pull of the Sun. 3. The Earth's centrifigal forces are in perfect balance with the gravitational pull of the Sun. 1 and 2 are supported by the theory of constant motion.... and are more likely than scenario 3.... and 1 or 2 either will cause sparatic atmospheric conditions. The theory of constant motion is based on the idea that the possibility of two EXACT forces pulling on something are so small that it only exists in the smallest of mathematical figures. A never ending decimal, if you will. A possiblity so slight that everything is constantly set in motion by one force or another... even so slightly that it may take a million years for a pen to move a millimeter on your desk top. The theory says if you left a room with perfect conditions where nothing would decompose and traveled 5 million years into the future everything would be out of place by simple laws of molecular motion.... If an objects electrons and neutrons are constantly in motion... the atom is constantly in motion.... therefore the molecules are constantly in motion... therefore the object is constantly in motion...

That's the basis of my thoughts on global warming... the Earth is going to die one day... Our pollution isn't helping much... But I think it's more due to the forces of nature than our car exhaust.

Global Warming, to me, is simply a word that describes the fact that our Earth is, at it's core, is a molten ball of lava that orbits a giant ball of burning gas.......... That's most likely going to heat SOMETHING up.

To relate back to the thread title.... Irony is complaining about Global Warming when our Globe has a burning core of molten lava and orbits a giant ball of burning gas.
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2007 2:59 pm
Actually, there's a fourth theory that kinda wipes out the first three.

http://www.pioneer-net.com/~jessep/why.html
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
02/12/2007 5:06 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeActually, there's a fourth theory that kinda wipes out the first three.

http://www.pioneer-net.com/~jessep/why.html

I liked the part on the homepage where Jesse says "I'm not a well educated person."

No way......

If gravity isn't a "pull"... all your magnets on your refridgerator would fall on the floor.
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/12/2007 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI see you live in Jersey Elk. Them noreasters are stupid. First we're gettin like 1-3 inches. Then like 2 feet. Then the thing blows out to see. They've angered me many a time back in the day hopin for snow days and some good ol' snow mobiling. So I feel your pain.

I blame Canada since thats where it all comes from. Sorry Greasy Knots and the soon to be Granholm's (sp?)

I like put ride around on my quad if its not too deep, but its all my buddies snow-mobile if we get 6 or more inches. We usually go into a big field and make an oval track and pull people around on a sled.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2007 5:16 pm
I remember seeing this theory explained in detail on A&E a long time ago.
After it was over I was like "of course... that makes perfect sense. why are scientists so stupid to think that gravity is a pull?"
Two days later I couldn't remember what the heck the theory was and went back to thinking of gravity as a pull again.
# 14
aschleman
aschleman
02/12/2007 5:23 pm
Yeah, I just a hard time reading that specific article. It was pretty poorly written. He makes som good points and I can see where he's going with it. He just didn't have the persuasive qualities to get me to buy into it.

I can see why the theory exists though. With thousands of bodies with their own gravitational pulls pulling on each other... It's hard to imagine a solar system that is as settled and predictable as ours is. Granted gravity on a large scale reacts much slower than the gravity of an apple falling to the ground... But it's still hard to ignore gravity since it is a quanitfiable entity. It can be viewed as the proverbial "glue" that holds the system together as well. I can see the perspective. That's the great thing about science... Theory is theory until it's proven right or wrong. I could say that the air in outerspace smells like roses.... no one can prove me wrong.
# 15
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/12/2007 8:20 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccI blame Canada since thats where it all comes from. Sorry Greasy Knots and the soon to be Granholm's (sp?)

That would be spelled correctly ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 16
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/12/2007 9:00 pm
The thing about Gravity is that we can measure it, we can define it, but we don't know why it exists in the first place or why it is weak compared to other forces. It shows how much more we have to learn. Everyone expects instant results and proof. That's not how science works.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.