View post (Getting heavy gauge strings up to standard tuning.)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
02/11/2007 11:34 pm
Those strings were fairly new but then I put that particular guitar in a case for about a solid month before I took it back out and straight away decided to tune it up. (I live in Las Vegas, so the climate is dry as a bone.) With 11s I tune flat (Eb), i.e. one half step down, but anything above that it's usually down to C# (as opposed to C). I always like doing that because the listener will semi-consciously go "what the... something's not right!!!" :confused: when I hit an open string, especially when contrasting it with whatever noodling I'm doing from the 7th fret on up.

I decided to tune it to standard because I just bought one of those big huge chord books which has all the thousands upon thousands of guitar chords that are humanly possible to play. (Some of them you have to have a hand span like Sasquatch with fingers like on one of those surgeon droids from Star Wars.) So I wanted to learn as many weird obscure chords as I could... without having to take twenty minutes to mentally compensate each time.

Ehhhhh... I guess I'll just string it up with 10s and do that for now.