Opinions Wanted

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/04/2007 7:03 am
Howdy folks. I was working on something today, and I wanted some guitarist opinions:

Do the chords mixed with the main line in the intro of this song make you cringe? Does it sound bad and/or wrong? I'm not sure myself, so I wanted some other opinions.

Thanks for listening.

Heres the link

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=648925

Top song.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/06/2007 12:51 pm
Sounds fine to me, but I'm just listening to it on a laptop :(. I think it kicks ass though :cool:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/06/2007 1:11 pm
Sounds fine althought the lo-fi quality of Soundclick kinda takes away the 'oomph'.
You guys need to bone up on mixing techniques and mastering to really make this stuff stand out.
Just a remix and brickwall mastering with some EQ could give this tune a whole bunch of major punch.

I've got the week off while we rewire our studio .... if ya wanna screw around a bit, send me an .aiff of the original ya did, and I'll give it to our mastering guys & show ya what I mean.

I'll upload a new version for ya to compare.

No guarantees, but it'd be a good way to test our new equipment.
# 3
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
02/06/2007 1:29 pm
As far as the chords are concerned, not a problem. They go together just fine. Where the whole thing starts to break down for me is the interaction of the lead riff against the chords. It's just not as clean as it could be IMO. In other words, make absolutely sure you are beginning each chord change with a note in the riff which fits better. Most were fine, but there were a few changes that didn't work for me. All in all I thought it was very cool. With a little spit and polish I believe it will be killer.
# 4
WERNER 1
WERNER 1
02/06/2007 5:21 pm
I downloaded the mp3 and gave it a listen...

To your original question about the cords on the into......the actual chords and the playing sound good, and I think they fit pretty well.

Now if you want to start talking about the actual recording it's self........well you may want to sit down first :)

It seems to me that your levels are REALLY low....I've got everything cranked to the moon, and I'm not getting much volume/signal... Especially about a minute in....that stand alone riffage is almost non-existant....but when everything comes back in it sounds good,...but still pretty low volume wise.

I like the playing and the most of the tones.....everything was sort mushed together though and not very clear and in it's "own space" so to speak.

Ok, here the part where you tell me to take a hike :o

Sorry,
Rick
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/06/2007 6:58 pm
Schmange, that would be awesome if you did that for me. I'll get a file ready for you if you're still willing.

My recording techniques are terrible. I'm quite aware of that. All I use is a crap mic and Cool Edit Pro. And for some reason my mic isn't picking up well lately...not sure whats wrong with. I've gotta get a new one. So I'm in total agreement with the tone.

Thanks for the feedback though guys.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 6
WERNER 1
WERNER 1
02/06/2007 7:59 pm
Cool Edit Pro is a pretty nice program....that's what I used for quite some time. I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 right now ......Cool Edit's newer version.

Just grab a used SM57 or Sennheiser e609 off of ebay, and your off! (Probably around 50 bucks each...) :) ......uh, what preamp are you using.........and sound card?

Rick
# 7
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/06/2007 9:22 pm
Originally Posted by: WERNER 1
Just grab a used SM57 or Sennheiser e609 off of ebay, and your off! (Probably around 50 bucks each...) :) ......uh, what preamp are you using.........and sound card?

Rick

I'd be happy to tell you that...if I knew. As you can see, my knowledge is about as good as my equipment. I can assure you I don't have a preamp though.
# 8
WERNER 1
WERNER 1
02/06/2007 9:31 pm
Ah,...well put a mic and a preamp on your wish list! :D .........as well as a decent sound card (100 bucks new) ....

THEN, you'll be on your way! :D

Rick
# 9
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/06/2007 10:28 pm
Also, how do I make an .aiff file?
# 10
WERNER 1
WERNER 1
02/07/2007 3:09 am
I'm not sure about that one my self......but I've bairly begun to scratch the surface of PC based recording too... :(

If you wern't using the same software (DAW)as the other guy(Schmange), I'd say you'd probably have to save each of the files/tracks as a high resolution wav. (96,000 khz / 24 bit ), and then burn them to a CD and mail it to him.... If you are using the same software I'd think you could just save/burn the master session to a CD and mail it...... but that's all just speculation on my part :)

.........anyone else??

Rick
# 11
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/07/2007 4:44 am
Originally Posted by: WERNER 1I'm not sure about that one my self......but I've bairly begun to scratch the surface of PC based recording too... :(

If you wern't using the same software (DAW)as the other guy(Schmange), I'd say you'd probably have to save each of the files/tracks as a high resolution wav. (96,000 khz / 24 bit ), and then burn them to a CD and mail it to him.... If you are using the same software I'd think you could just save/burn the master session to a CD and mail it...... but that's all just speculation on my part :)

.........anyone else??

Rick

Well if I needed to do that, I'd probably record something better and a full song at that. Not worth to send a 2 minute track. But hopefully we shall see what the answer is.
# 12
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
02/15/2007 5:26 am
I've used Cool Edit Pro over 10 years now...

If I recall correctly, you can just save the trask as .aiff from Cool Edit Pro...

Schmange use Mac i think, and aiff is the Mac standard wave fromat....

Correct me if im wrong...
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2007 5:48 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintSchmange, that would be awesome if you did that for me. I'll get a file ready for you if you're still willing.

My recording techniques are terrible. I'm quite aware of that. All I use is a crap mic and Cool Edit Pro. And for some reason my mic isn't picking up well lately...not sure whats wrong with. I've gotta get a new one. So I'm in total agreement with the tone.

Sorry I never answered ya, but this thread stopped being sent to my email so I thought it had ended.
Yep, I got no problem doing a mastering job here.
All I need is an aiff or .wav file. It'll be big (like 50MB +) so you'll need to find a way to send it to me cause it's too large for email. Either your own server or one of the posting services on the web like tradebit.com

And yup, aiff is generally known as the Mac format and Wav is Windows.
They're pretty interchangeable though.

What you usually do in audio software once you've recorded all your tracks is export the entire thing as an aiff or wav file. For best compatibility you'll want 16 or 24 bit. (24 is a larger file but better sound).
Ideally, we use a 24 bit stereo aiff file to do mastering with but if you send a wav file we just convert it.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.