I am left handed but play with right.

darakhshan
darakhshan
02/03/2007 6:32 pm
when I strated Guitar in high school I was misinformed
every body told me I get into a lot of trouble so even though I am
left handed I coninued to use guitar like any body else
Now I have completely got used to it and it is even odd to play as a left handed but my right hand seems to be weak so I have strated to worry
have I missed some thing? Is that the reason I am not good with picks
and my progress with right hand seems to be slow!

Has any body experienced the same thing?
My left hand instead is very strong and I can easily love my fingers and hold even very difficult chords for hours.

Want to have your ideas about this and has any body experienced the same thing?

Did I make a good choice by playing like any body else?

I wonder
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/03/2007 8:47 pm
If you're more comfortable playing right-handed than playing lefty, I say stick with it. It's probably hard work, but if it's easier than the left-handed option...
Just look at Gary Moore. He's a left-hander playing righty, and his playing is phenomenal! Even that most famous of lefties, Jimi Hendrix, was known to play righty before he started doing the upside-down-stringing thing (which is another option, I suppose :D).
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
strat-man
strat-man
02/03/2007 9:41 pm
My left handed son plays a right handed bass, left handed, upside down, NOT re-strung for left handed playing! :eek: go figure! :eek:
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 3
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/04/2007 2:37 am
I am a lefty myself. But since i was a kid I throw, shoot, bat, and play guitar right handed. Yes you guessed it I am freak...lol. I can see the delima you are going through. Since I am always bas-ackwards with most things in life I just go for what is comfortable to me. If playing right feals "right"... go for it. Well thats my 2 cents worth.....lol
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 4
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
02/06/2007 5:36 pm
Im left and play right Im just fine you will get better do some right hand finger and wrist excersise
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 5
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
02/07/2007 2:11 am
you wont hit a wall or anything because your a lefty playing right michael angelo batio was originally a lefty but his dad only bought him a right hand guitar and hes nuts in terms of tecnique, so you'll be fine and the fact that you can hold weird chords alot is a plus. good luck
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 6
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
02/07/2007 4:24 pm
I too am left-handed but play right-handed. I also seem to suffer from a poorly developed right-hand picking style.

I have a theory in regard to this.

Even though I'm left-handed, I, like my right-handed brethren(and sisters) look at my fretting hand while playing. So I'm focusing attention on my dominant hand, but the rightys are focusing attention on their non-dominant hand. I have made strides to switch this up (with limited success) so that I focus attention on my non-dominant hand while practicing. It seems to me that this should help over time. Perhaps this is just an excuse I use to explain my less than stellar picking ability.
# 7
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/08/2007 5:17 am
I play the same way, converted to right handed at the beginning because there were more options to choose from. Everything looked upside-down visually which made it confusing for me to play left-handed, so I switched.
It has it's advantages using your left hand on the fretboard gives strong form to chords, hammer-ons, pull-offs and slide techniques, even when using your pinky and getting a solid tone from it. For me, Picking techniques finally became strong when I applied them to Chromatic exercises recommended for alt. picking and economy picking techniques. I found fingerpicking patterns, even Travis picking to be much more challenging and it took a lot more time to even become descent at it. Regardless of being left or right handed, both hands are used by all that have them and become equal once they are trained to naturally do their tasks, when used in a daily regimen. If you write with your left hand, the right is not used with equal time but even though you tie your shoes only a few times daily, they become equal in that task naturally. Once they become equal you don't have to think about it and can do it just as well blindfolded. You can still perform the task when you need to even if you wear boots most of the time.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.