View post (I am left handed but play with right.)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
02/08/2007 5:17 am
I play the same way, converted to right handed at the beginning because there were more options to choose from. Everything looked upside-down visually which made it confusing for me to play left-handed, so I switched.
It has it's advantages using your left hand on the fretboard gives strong form to chords, hammer-ons, pull-offs and slide techniques, even when using your pinky and getting a solid tone from it. For me, Picking techniques finally became strong when I applied them to Chromatic exercises recommended for alt. picking and economy picking techniques. I found fingerpicking patterns, even Travis picking to be much more challenging and it took a lot more time to even become descent at it. Regardless of being left or right handed, both hands are used by all that have them and become equal once they are trained to naturally do their tasks, when used in a daily regimen. If you write with your left hand, the right is not used with equal time but even though you tie your shoes only a few times daily, they become equal in that task naturally. Once they become equal you don't have to think about it and can do it just as well blindfolded. You can still perform the task when you need to even if you wear boots most of the time.