takamine 12 string

pennyanmurph
pennyanmurph
01/31/2007 11:48 pm
I'm looking at this Takamine EG523SC12 12 string acoustic electric and loving it, but I'm curious if anyone here has one or has even played one. Also, I'm curious about tuning these, like if a standard tuner works and how you do it. Thanks a lot. I keep playing 12 strings when I go to the guitar shop, and I love the sound. Reminds me a lot of those Eagles....
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/01/2007 2:10 am
I can't say I've had experience with that exact model, but my dad has a Takamine 12. It (and every other Takamine I've played) plays nicely and is a relatively good value. Of course even within the same brand, every individual guitar has it's own unique character (for better or worse) to some degree...but overall they make consistently good guitars.

And yeah, tuning those can be a pain, but an electronic tuner will help some. Personally I keep mine tuned to standard, but many people keep 12's tuned down a 1/2 step to E flat to ease some of the tension on the neck and on your fingers. Yet the cheapest tuners don't always tune chromatically to those notes. Also it might not recognize the higher octave string's appropriate pitch. I say might...the tuner on my Pod effects unit doesn't have a problem with my Yamaha 12. But even if it does freak on the skinnier string, you at least would still be able to tune the "regular" strings to their proper pitch and then use it as a reference. Regardless, both of those problems could be avoided by just paying for the better tuner. I say when you go to buy your guitar, ask to try several tuners and see which ones work for you.
But one last note...you might make sure that the pickup control panel doesn't have a tuner onboard already. Many acoustic/electrics nowadays have that feature.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/01/2007 3:34 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdBut one last note...you might make sure that the pickup control panel doesn't have a tuner onboard already. Many acoustic/electrics nowadays have that feature.

Well, I was curious about the guitar myself. Apparently that guitar does have an onboard chromatic tuner, so that takes care of that.
I read the review here.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/01/2007 3:46 pm
I have that exact guitar. It is an excellent 12-string! The on board preamp lets you shape your tone to exactly how you like, and can also be bypassed. It also has a built in tuner which is extremely nice (especially for a 12-string). With the maple back, sides, and neck, the guitar can be quite bright sounding. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to a 12-string, and it can always be toned down when playing through an amp or PA with the preamp's EQ controls.

Where are you located? I've actually been thinking about selling mine (just don't play it enough to justify keeping it). It's back home at my grandmothers house in Mississippi, so I'd have to talk someone into shipping it for me if you're not within driving distance. Send me a PM if you're interested and we can discuss the details then.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/02/2007 6:52 am
Tuning a 12-string is a bit o' black magic, but it's very satisfying when you get is sussed.

Tune the main strings first. You have to mute the thinner octave strings to avoid confusing the tuner. Then tune the octave strings, starting with the high E and the B strings. The second high E and the B strings are tuned to almost the same pitch as the main strings. They should actually be very slightly higher than their main strings. When you play both strings at once, there should be a slow warble to the sound as the two slightly different frequencies 'beat' against each other. Continue working your way to the lower pitched strings, tuning the thinner octave strings very slightly higher than the thicker main strings. I mean a full octave above, plus just a little bit.

When you're done, a stroked chord should ring, with just a bit of warble to it, making it sound very full compared to a 6-string. When you get it just right, it's like a combined octave/chorus effect.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.