View post (takamine 12 string)

View thread

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/01/2007 2:10 am
I can't say I've had experience with that exact model, but my dad has a Takamine 12. It (and every other Takamine I've played) plays nicely and is a relatively good value. Of course even within the same brand, every individual guitar has it's own unique character (for better or worse) to some degree...but overall they make consistently good guitars.

And yeah, tuning those can be a pain, but an electronic tuner will help some. Personally I keep mine tuned to standard, but many people keep 12's tuned down a 1/2 step to E flat to ease some of the tension on the neck and on your fingers. Yet the cheapest tuners don't always tune chromatically to those notes. Also it might not recognize the higher octave string's appropriate pitch. I say might...the tuner on my Pod effects unit doesn't have a problem with my Yamaha 12. But even if it does freak on the skinnier string, you at least would still be able to tune the "regular" strings to their proper pitch and then use it as a reference. Regardless, both of those problems could be avoided by just paying for the better tuner. I say when you go to buy your guitar, ask to try several tuners and see which ones work for you.
But one last note...you might make sure that the pickup control panel doesn't have a tuner onboard already. Many acoustic/electrics nowadays have that feature.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]