View post (A short story)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/30/2007 12:02 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI disagree. I may not be very good at it, but I find less words are easier to work with. It's just how my mind works. When it's a nice day, I think "what a nice day," not "O! 'Tis a splendrous day; the scent of youth rides high on the ephemeral wind!"

That's pretty funny. I think if your inner-dialogue has that t.s. elliott feel to it, run, don't walk, to your therapist and beg for some of those huge, horse pill sized, anti-psychotics. What I'm talking about is minimalism, which is more about proper word choice, rather than how much of your thesarus you can vomit on the page. One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received when it comes to writing is this; it's not the details you put in but rather the details you leave out.

Here's the description of minimalism at it's best: Literary minimalism is characterized by an economy with words and a focus on surface description. Minimalist authors eschew adverbs and prefer allowing context to dictate meaning. Readers are expected to take an active role in the creation of a story, to "choose sides" based on oblique hints and innuendo, rather than reacting to directions from the author. The characters in minimalist stories and novels tend to be unexceptional; they're average people who sell pool supplies or coach second tier athletic teams, not famous detectives or the fabulously wealthy. Generally, the short stories are "slice of life" stories.

And here are some authors to become familiar with if you're interested in the style: : Raymond Carver, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Ernest Hemingway, Amy Hempel, Eneas McNulty, Bobbie Ann Mason, Tobias Wolff, Grace Paley, Sandra Cisneros, Mary Robison, Frederick Barthelme, and Alicia Erian.

Good luck. Like I said, it's an easy style to copy, miserably difficult to do well.
:)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]