I buying a new Electric, needs input please

Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
01/25/2007 12:04 am
I'm going from an accoustic to an electric and here's my two choices for right now with my intended buget.
Epiphone Les Paul II or Fender Squire Bullet special.
I would take some other choices in these two's price range. I have to get an amp also and I think I made a good choice on the amp. It's a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt.
Let me know, as I'm picking them up tomorrow.
Thanks all,
Dan
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/25/2007 1:23 am
A Les Paul and a Strat are gonna have 2 different sounds from the difference in pickup type. I'd go with the strat for blues, jazz, and other lighter stuff as well as for rock. But for metal or hard rock, and even jazz the LP is the way to go. Just try both before you decide on one, see which one plays/sounds better.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
01/25/2007 1:29 am
Thanks, I'm more into classic rock. Eagles, Doors, Van Morison, Boston, Van Halen......Not Van Hagar..LOL and some newer stuff like Counting Crows, Soul Asylum. Should have said that to begin with. Keep 'em comming, I'm open for some more advice, guide. BTW, it's not a Strat, that's a little out of my price range right now, It's a Squire Bullet Special
Dan
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/25/2007 1:41 am
Well, it doesn't have to be Fender to be a strat. Squire makes the strat, which happens to be the body style of the bullet. Then you have your Strat copies ranging from brands A to Z.

Good choice for an amp though. I hear a lot of great things about the Line 6 Spiders.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
01/25/2007 2:29 am
Yeah... Fender makes the Squire strats. The Bullett special is just the specific strat model name.

I'd say go for the Squire... but I'm a little biased. Make the choice based on which one you like the sound of and how they feel for you.
# 5
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
01/25/2007 10:28 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccWell, it doesn't have to be Fender to be a strat. Squire makes the strat, which happens to be the body style of the bullet. Then you have your Strat copies ranging from brands A to Z.

Elk, I didn't know that. I thought Squire was Fender. The one Im looking at is labeled as a Fender Squire Bullet Special II. Seems like a good starter electric for me. Some have said in about 2 to 3 yrs of playing you'll want to replace the pickups.
Dan
# 6
ren
ren
01/25/2007 11:17 am
You'll probably find that after 2 or 3 years of playing you'll want a better guitar - if funds allow.

Squire and Epiphone guitars are cool, and a squire strat is my standard 'first electric' recommendation. Squire is Fender's budget line.... and in my experience they are fine instruments, especially for the money.

Play every guitar you can afford in the store, and buy the one you like the best - simple. For instance, I can't play Les Pauls because I hit the top of the bridge pickup and/or keep rolling the volume with the side of my hand when I play... I might be able to adapt, but I've found many guitars I don't have the problem with. Some of the guys love Les Pauls and hate Fenders - but there are very few genuinely bad guitars...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
01/25/2007 11:12 pm
Thanks for all the input,
I ended up buying the Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I like the double humbuckers and for my style right now, the action is great. I played the Squire and the Epiphone just sounded better. Just for ****s and giggles I picked up a $4500 USD Stratacaster and I have to admit that at some point in time in my playing I will by all means be getting a "good" guitar. But for now, I'm pretty happy with this one.
Thanks,
Dan
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
01/26/2007 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Logan826Thanks for all the input,
I ended up buying the Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I like the double humbuckers and for my style right now, the action is great. I played the Squire and the Epiphone just sounded better. Just for ****s and giggles I picked up a $4500 USD Stratacaster and I have to admit that at some point in time in my playing I will by all means be getting a "good" guitar. But for now, I'm pretty happy with this one.
Thanks,
Dan

One of the best things I like about Fender over all (most) other manufacturers is the fact that they have great quality across the board. If someone were to blindfold you and place an American Re-Issue '57 Strat (1,200 USD), a Custom Shop '57 Strat (2,500 USD), and a Mexican 50's Strat (600 USD) in front of you and make you play each one... There probably will be a small chance that you could distinguish them apart from each other. I've played all three of those models first hand and I'm a rabid Fender Strat enthusiast and I was astounded at how small the differences in quality were.... Unlike companies like Gibson, ESP, and Jackson... where their high end models and their low end models are a million miles apart from each other... I think that's why Fender has the most consistant pricing... You can pick a nice one up for less than 800 bucks... and if you want a REAAAALLLY nice one you're not going to spend much more than 1000 USD... And you can get in with a really nice Mexi on the low end for around 400-600 USD as well....

It was a good choice going for what you felt was right for you... Don't ever let anyone try to influence you into buying anything you don't feel comfortable with... In the end it's about what kind of sound you want... You'll get more into that later on though... when you become a gear whore like me and PRS and a few others around here... That's when it gets expensive... haha

Good purchase bro.
# 9
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
01/27/2007 12:31 am
Thanks,
I like it. I had a chance to play it this evening and it sounds pretty good for me skill level. I will admit though that I'm a big Fender fan. I love the look and the sound. It was just that this round I wasn't able to justify the cost. Kind of like me and golf clubs. A $2,500 set of Pings' isn't going to make me play any better. Now in a year or less, I hope, I can pick up a nice Strat and make it sound good. Thanks again for the input guys.
Dan
# 10
madax
madax
01/31/2007 3:36 am
If budget is a concern, Have you heard of Cort guitars? I picked up the model M200 for 330.00 out the door. with the nicest gig bag ive seen. It sustains as god as a guitar costing a1000.00. Its an arch top solid body. comes with a lifetime warrenty.I dont even touch my Ibanez anymore. Good choice on your amp.I just got a Kustom 100 for 500.00. :D
# 11
damaged
damaged
01/31/2007 6:47 am
Even tho its not a brand you mentioned, I would recomend looking at the Yamaha Pacifica range of electrics.
They have a H-S-S set up which equals great versatility, very playable for the price and nice sounding for the price.
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.