View post (Those who ignore theroy WILL suffer!!)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
01/23/2007 11:10 pm
I know that the subject matter, terminologies, and references to chord shapes, and scale movements when explained in there proper scientific descriptions can be mind boggling. And some players will just refuse to consider the subject, and go it alone using there ear to make sense of it all. This will work for most up to a point, but an aspiring musician must form the ability to understand, and play in key with other musicians to avoid strained relationships, or just being plain left out.
I have spoken many times about the Diatonic scale for learning to play in key. And this time to make it as simple as possible I'm not going to talk as much about notes, as before. Of course whats a key without notes,"nothing". Each key has 7 notes, but instead of calling them notes, let's think of them as a pattern of dots. This pattern of dots can be seen in any Major, or minor scale dictionary,(Major, and minor is the same pattern just started from a different position in the scale) so stay with me. Look up the definition for diatonic scale, this will also help. And find a good fretboard scale dictionary, which will allow you to select any key you want to study. Then just practice staying within the pattern of dots. Do this with chords, as well as lead scale runs, and learn that pattern all throughout the neck, and play it any way you want, back, and fourth, up, and down, jumping between octaves, anything that sounds creative. Thats what it's all about, being creative. Once you know this pattern, then studying the more complex aspects of theroy will start to make more sense. And if you, like most of us want to be the next Randy Rhoads, or Eddie Van Halen, you shouldent ignore theroy!! Theroy is where amazing sounds, and skills become reality. :cool: