Sweeping VS Alt picking for real

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
01/22/2007 3:37 am
okay i like sweeps as much as the next guy and i can do them pretty well but i thought wouldnt it be cool to jsut alternate pick the arpeggios i can't get them nearly as fast as i can sweep them but if i can alternate pick them it should help with their clarity and other picking troubles but sweeping does make it all flow a bit better I just wanted to say that. does anyone see any downsides to alternate picking everything so long as i practice and get them real quick
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
ren
ren
01/22/2007 11:26 am
Whatever works... Paul Gilbert alternate picks arps at 700mph... works for him.

As I recall, YJM also makes up his own picking patterns for arps rather than sweeping. If you get the sound you want, it doesn't matter how you acheive it...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
01/25/2007 2:01 am
I agree with Akira.

Both Techniques have different sounds. Sweeping would sound more smoother than alternate. I guess you could say the arp performed by sweeping sounds similar to legato rather than the sharp attack sound of a picking each note...

Keep rocking
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 3
damaged
damaged
01/25/2007 12:01 pm
Doesnt Al di meola already do this sort of stuff?
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 4
ren
ren
01/25/2007 12:06 pm
Originally Posted by: damagedDoesnt Al di meola already do this sort of stuff?

yeah... as do many others...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
damaged
damaged
01/26/2007 6:43 am
Also the sound diference wouldnt be to great expecially if you use a compresor.
# 6
damaged
damaged
01/27/2007 4:59 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraI beg to differ.

Picked arps and sweeped arps sound completely different to me.

Do you know any sites with a good example of alt picking vs sweeping arps?

Edit* wait are we talking alt picking sweep patterns or just picking arps vs sweeping them*
# 7
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
01/29/2007 6:56 pm
Actually, most of the greats hybrid pick for arpeggios. It enables them to get the great even sound of 'alternate' picking combined with the efficient motion of sweep picking.

It's not a matter of one versus the other, it's more a matter of combining them in a meaningful way.

I remember walking into Berklee thinking, like Al Di Meola, if it isn't alternate picked it isn't worth it. But, I was soon introduced into the fabulous technique of economy picking.

--Bottom Line--

If you want to get quick and want to be able to execute your lightning speed licks without any effort whatsoever---learn to economy pick. In case you don't already know what that is, it's just alternate picking, but when you switch strings your first pick attack goes in the direction of your own motion, thus eliminating the wasted motions alternate picking brings.

For example, alternate picking going up a scale looks like this((3 notes per string)):
DUDUDUDU....

Economy Picking would look like this:
DUDDUDDU...

At first you will find economy picking does not sound quite the same as alternate picking, and it doesn't at first. When you get the hang of it, however, you can't really tell the difference between the two---save one's far easier.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.