View post (Clinton in '08?)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/21/2007 1:38 pm
The two party system outlived it's usefullness a hundred years ago and it is responsible for the Death of the American Dream. And with the insistance on holding onto the antiquated and obsolete electoral college, WE THE PEOPLE have not elected a president in many, many years.

Neither Dem's or Rep's are worth a d**n. Both are well-oiled and well funded machines whose sole purpose is for the general fleecing of the American public with a lot of back-slapping and hand in pocket moves with other nations. I like to think that most candidates enter politics idealistic with thoughts of actually making a change, pushing things forward. Sadly, it only takes a little foray into American politics to learn a few things a) nothing gets done without 'grease' b) you are not responsible to the American public, your bosses have always been and will always be, special interest c) the perks that we set in place to lure people into public service have devolved into a hydra-headed monster that makes it too difficult to walk away (lifetime medical coverage and pension plan that very few folks in the private sector could even imagine?) and d) like it or not, poltics is a family business. Whether it's done in the public forums or behind the scenes, the same power brokers have been working the system for as long as the system has been in place. The backroom deals that were made two-three hundred years ago are still in place. The players may change but the rules remain the same.

I would love to see Hilary or Obama win it. I really would. Sadly, I truly believe that we Americans (and I am not knocking my fellow countrymen) are not 'evolved' enough to elect a minority or a woman. For whatever reason, the American public has this deep-seated sense that we are best led by a white man. Why, I have no idea since this Madison Avenue image of what a President is supposed to be has not exactly led us down the primrose path in the past. No, I suspect that either Hilary or Obama will lose big to some middle-of-the-road talking head not because he's the best candidate but because he is a white male.

I will vote for either Hillary or Obama. I like their ideas. I like the fact that they are approaching politics with the idea of change. Even though I think they will lose, one of them will get my vote.

I don't vote for the candidate that will most likely win, I have always voted for the candidate that I think is less likely to blow up the d**n planet.

It is a foul system but it's all we've got. :mad:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]